David,
As I posted; I believe pressure is one of several key components in what makes up recoil, not the only one. You can't have recoil without pressure. Sure, one can take the total ejecta and the MV and gun weight come up with a total energy of recoil. But that is a very simplistic answer that ignores the "time" element of recoil. It does not include answering what peak force is generated. And some have argued that peak force in recoil is irrelavent and maybe some think that peak force won't change if velocity and weight of ejecta doesn't change. Maybe. But, I don't believe that.

I think the point at which opinions start diverge is on the definition of the term "recoil". The simple definition is the total energy of the gun movement. That's not wrong. But there are other defineable elements like peak force and time of the forces. I believe peak force is an element of recoil that most shooters can feel. Others don't believe that. So, we disagree. That's o.k. it's just what I believe, not something everyone needs to believe.

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/03/08 05:49 PM.