June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (earlyriser, SKB, Roundsworth, Jtplumb, R. Glenz, 1 invisible), 488 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,590
Posts546,774
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107680 08/17/08 08:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did a search for ITX on the forum and came up empty handed. Has this new shot been discussed here before? It looks like it might show promise, but I wonder if it is soft enough for damascus guns. The price doesn't look too terrible. The link to the source is:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=TX02

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am an avid waterfowler, and have not read of any approvals for this product for use on waterfowl. If I am wrong it would be a welcome addition to the field of non toxics.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The picture looks like the pellets have a raised band around the middle. the ad says that each pellet is individually cast.
That shape would be similar to some pills prduced by pharma companies so might make sense from a manufactuing viewpoint.
I wonder what shape that does to patterns.

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
LeeS #107698 08/17/08 10:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting.

Says right in there it's approved by the USFWS? I can't imagine Ballistic Products opening themselves up to the problems it would cause by saying that if it wasn't true.

All the Kent TM pellets are "belted" and they seem to shoot fine.

Kind of a moot point anyway as it's "Sold Out".

Destry

Last edited by MarketHunter; 08/17/08 11:02 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

That band is a parting line from the dies they are stamped in. I read about a fellow developing a ribbon fed press that stamped out pellets. Modest irregularities in pellets has little effect at the ranges we shoot. I don't think there even are 2 heavi-shot pellets that are the same.

I copied the approved materials list from the USFWS website. It is listed below. I have never seen some of the approved alloys. Perhaps this product was one of the more unusual ones.
I am always skeptical of the gap between enforcement realities, and the approved product lists.
Ultimately, as USFWS says, the list is informational, not regulatory.
I'd like to see the approval form before I headed out to the refuge for early goose season.

APPROVED SHOT TYPES

The shot types that are approved as nontoxic for waterfowl hunting in the U.S. are the following.

Approved shot type*
Composition by weight
Field testing device**

bismuth-tin
97% bismuth and 3% tin
HOT*SHOT ***

iron (steel)
iron and carbon
Magnet or HOT*SHOT *

iron-tungsten
any proportion of tungsten and ≥1% iron
Magnet or HOT*SHOT *

iron-tungsten-nickel
≥1% iron, any proportion of tungsten, up to 40% nickel
Magnet or HOT*SHOT *

tungsten-bronze
51.1% tungsten, 44.4% copper, 3.9% tin, and 0.6% iron

and 60% tungsten, 35.1% copper, 3.9% tin, and 1% iron
Rare Earth Magnet

tungsten-iron-copper-nickel
40-76% tungsten, 10-37% iron, 9-16% copper, and 5-7% nickel
HOT*SHOT * or Rare Earth Magnet

tungsten-matrix
95.9% tungsten and 4.1% polymer
HOT*SHOT *

tungsten-polymer
95.5% tungsten and 4.5% Nylon 6 or 11
HOT*SHOT *

tungsten-tin-iron
any proportions of tungsten and tin and ≥1% iron
Magnet or HOT*SHOT *

tungsten-tin-bismuth
any proportions of tungsten, tin, and bismuth
Rare Earth Magnet

tungsten-tin-iron-nickel
65% tungsten, 21.8% tin, 10.4% iron, and 2.8% nickel
Magnet

* Coatings of copper, nickel, tin, zinc, zinc chloride, and zinc chrome on approved nontoxic shot types also are approved.

These guys deserve the finest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking since CMT is a powdered metal company, that the pellets are of one of the bronze alloys. I don't think they are still active in their production.
There's a dispute with some former employees that started a company "Sinter fire" over their dismissal.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.