June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, arrieta2, Jtplumb, Marks_21, bushveld, Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,655
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Folks- Sorry for being OT on this, but I know all of you are interested in the Flora(and the hardwood)that we all enjoy... Here's something that I uncovered while looking for some Butternut trees in our area.... Very surprising.....-Doug

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_n7-8_v99/ai_14378233

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the article. I know the farm around the corner that has a few on it. I tried to take a small sapling and transplant it, didn't make it the second year. Farm across the road has a beautiful English Walnut, and an Apricot tree, they are ready right now to eat.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Butternut and Black Walnut are in the same genus-first cousins, so to speak! Is our source of gunstock material at risk? I wonder!

Unfortunately it isn't only the Butternut that is endangered. We all know about the American Chestnut being totally wiped out by an introduced fungus, and now we have several more tree species that are in danger of being totally destroyed as a species. Example:

An introduced insect from Asia, the Woolly Adelgid, may well put Eastern and Carolina Hemlocks on the "extinct" list! Hemlocks are dying off totally in many parts of the Southern Mountains. Last week I was in Pennsylvania attending the Kentucky Rifle Assoc.meeting, and noticed that Hemlocks are rapidly dying there also.

Here in the Deep South we have Red Bay trees that are most probably doomed to extinction due to an insect introduced from China in wooden shipping pallets. Actually it's a fungus disease living in the mouths of the insects that kills and not the insect itsself. This disease also threatens to wipe out every single Sassafras tree and all avocado trees, and this is a significant business in South Florida. What's next?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its nature at work, over 90% of all of the species of everything that has ever lived on earth is extinct.
Like the man said can't slow down progress.

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

The government has introduced all kinds of, in their terms, "helpful" alien species. In the 1890's it was the European Starling and House Sparrow, later the Gypsy moth, then it was some type of fly to kill the larvae. Birds, fish, nothing eats them. Then Japanese Beetles, killed hundreds Sunday with Sevin on my Weeping Cheery. Plus countless others.
In some years driving along Rt 80 in Pa, there was nothing left on the tops of the trees for miles and miles.

Last edited by JDW; 07/09/08 09:06 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have about 2 dozen large butternuts on my property. Most (all?) are affectd by the canker, but appear to be doing ok...but there are very few younger trees around so when these die who knows what will happen. Hopefully I'll be pushing up daisies by then...(I know, careful what you wish for)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read it takes couple of decades from a sapling to butternut collection time. Shaft that. I have some fig trees and it took only 3 or 4 years to get some tasty morsels.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr Furman-
Have you considered contacting this guy?...:

DO YOU HAVE A HEALTHY BUTTERNUT?

Researcher Mike Ostry would like to hear from anyone owning healthy butternuts that have the following criteria:

* The tree should be near canker-ridden trees so it can be assumed that it has had heavy exposure to the disease.

* Tree appears to be free of cankers or has successfully overgrown them.

* Tree has a diameter at breast height of at least 10 inches.

* Owner will allow researchers to collect scion wood and nuts for several years.

If you know of a butternut that fits these criteria, please contact Michael E. Ostry, Research Plant Pathologist, U.S. Forest Service, 1992 Folwell Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Trees everywhere are in danger for one reason or another. Millions of Alaskan pine trees are dying from the pine bark beetles/global warming. Ash trees in the midwest are in danger from ash beetles. Trees in this area are dying more than people can remember from last year's drought. Mudslides, California forest fires, floods. What else is new?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since it was documented that the 7 glaciers on mt. Shasta, in California, the heart of global warming central, are actually ADVANCING, the global warming bit has been a little tough for me to swallow.

It wasn't front page news (hey, those carbon payments haven't even begun yet) but, the information is out there.
Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.