May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (gil russell, jake van dyke, canvasback, Jtplumb, Jeremy Pearce, LGF, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,365
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44463 06/19/07 09:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine has in his collection one of the most interesting shot and ball guns I’ve ever seen. It’s a Tatum & Egg (Joseph, not Durs) 12 bore O/U flintlock made in 1805. It features 32” barrels that mic out at .729 perfectly all the way down both bores, which is quite remarkable given the date. The barrels begin as octagon for about 10 inches then transition to 16 sides for another 8 or so inches and then become round for the remainder. There is a retractable bayonet on the right side of the barrels that is so subtle that you don’t even know it’s there. The bayonet was made by the cutler to the crown (can’t remember his name).

The front bead is nestled right in the center of a Sterling Sliver inlay of a Templar’s Cross. All silverwork and engraving is done by Henry Tatum, who was the beltmaker and silversmith to the crown.

The double locks are classic Joseph Egg and of the highest quality. One of the most impressive things about this gun is that both hammers are at the same height at half cock, full cock and fired position…What a feat of engineering!

I have photos I could post if I could ever figure out how to post photos on this forum.

I’m a sometimes writer for some of the popular gun magazines and I’d like to write about this gun. Problem is, I can’t find any information on Tatum & Egg. There’s tons of stuff on Durs, but not a whole lot on Joseph, and next to nothing on the Tatum & Egg partnership. Can anyone here steer me in the right direction?

Vintage and Double Gun Loony
Kevin Gibson #44467 06/19/07 09:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Kevin,

Sounds like a GREAT gun.

I can help you posting pictures if needed.
Do you have copies of them in electronic/digital (files) format or just prints/slides from film?
If they are in a file I can either talk you thru positng them or you can send them to me and I can post them for you.
If they are prints I can scan them and do the same.

You can contact me at goobr01@comcast.net

If they are in files you can attach them to the email and I can take care of them.

if you only have prints let me know and I will give you an address to send copies to.

Regards,
Lee Scroggins

LeeS #44482 06/19/07 10:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some pictures of the gun.
I resized the ones displayed inside this thread but the original larger versions can be found
H E R E
and
H E R E

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
LeeS #44558 06/19/07 06:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very nice and interesting piece. During our morning coffee round-table at the cyber cafe one member suggested that your gun might be by Tatham & Egg as in Henry Tatham.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fascinating! The only other O/U flintlock I've ever seen is at the Philadelphia Museum of Art......yes, where Rocky ran the steps. It's a Pennsylvania type rifle of approx. .36 caliber. Where it differs from the gun above is that it is made for the barrels to be rotated to be fired. Each barrel has it's own lock system attached and when that particular barrel is rotated beneath the gun, it is inverted. Really cool!

steve voss #44608 06/19/07 09:54 PM

What of the English Ferguson Rifles of that era?

BIG AL #44610 06/19/07 09:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BIG AL
What of the English Ferguson Rifles of that era?

What about them?

steve voss #44626 06/19/07 10:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If only Lynton McKenzie was still alive! He'd either know a bit about this maker or could point you in the right direction. Shooting in the dark I have this suggestion: contact Lewis Drake ( http://www.drake.net ) and ask for his help. He can certainly point you in the right direction. While you're visiting with Lewis you might ask him for the phone number of Michael Ehinger, who would also be a super contact for your needs. Incidently, Michael Ehinger has built double flint shotguns of London best quality.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.