June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Fudd, GETTEMANS, 257rob, bsteele, 1 invisible), 495 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,584
Posts546,737
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#463951 11/29/16 09:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I currently shoot a beretta O/U for ducks but would like to get a steel shot safe SXS. I do shoot a few of my old guns with bismith but it's hard for me to get and I prefer to shoot steel(actually lead if I could). I don't care if it has choke tubes and actually would prefer fixed chokes. I would have them opened up to what I want. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Woody402; 11/29/16 09:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker Steel Shot Special, CSMC RBL, Pietro Bernardelli Europa. I think some of the FabArms doubles from a few years ago were OK for steel shot. The best deal is probably the Browning BSS, and it is fine with steel as long as the chokes are not too tight. Lots of guys like the old Japanese SKBs, and the boys at Ivory Beads used to recommend a solid Fox Sterlingworth as the best American classic for ducks with steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Woody,

I have spent the last 20 years shooting ducks with a 30" barreled BSS, using 3" steel factory loads. It was originally choked modified and full. I had the full barrel opened to match the right barrel's choke, at .018". AFAIAC, it was a perfect modification for my needs. The gun has a pistol grip and beavertail forend, which helps manage the recoil of the 1 1/4 oz. steel loads, and makes getting on that second bird with the second barrel quicker and easier. Looking back to when I made the decision to start shooting steel in a BSS, I would not change a thing.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Uggy "Falcon" model, imported by American Imports of San Francisco, late 1960s-mid 1970s. 3" chamber (and proof) disc set strikers, hidden third fastener, open pistole grip to help you hang on firing heavy loads. On any given day there are 2-5 of them on the usual spots, they sell for $250-$500, regardless of price being asked. No ejectors, no single triggers, just solid using guns. Mostly 12s and 20s.
The Falcons have some sweet disco looking features, like golden-like triggers, and white line spacers-just kidding, I removed that stuff on my example.
Later, after AI moved onto greater things, we got the model 30 Uggy, a decent enough gun, but, no 3" proof or hidden third fastener. Most Model 30s seem to be in a game gun configuration, as opposed to the Falcons.
Mine has been opened from tight Mod and Full to Cyl and Improved Cyl. Great, reliable, duck boat worthy gun, at a can't be beat price.

In the aluminum case. I had a spare set of strikers made for it, along with the tool to put 'em in, by Cole Haugh:

Well balanced hunting implement, ready to go:

I still find 2 3/4 weird magnum and 3" ammunition at garage sales. I buy it when it is cheap, and feed it to this. I'd actually consider another 12, at the price I paid for this one.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ-USA has some offerings including a hammergun with 30" barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
CZ-USA has some offerings including a hammergun with 30" barrels.

What a coincidence. I have a CZ Classic Hammer listed for sale over in the For Sale forum.

Neat gun. Black chrome barrels, 3-inch chambers, screw-in chokes, outside hammer vibe. Completely steel ready.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also use a BSS occasionally. Came with 26 inch barrels and both modified choke in each tube. I use 3" BB shells and no issue. However I find the BSS a clunky gun and unbalanced. My go to gun is an older Browning Citori Lighting with a straight grip. It also has 26" barrels with fixed chokes so I had to get the full choke opened to modified. I did put a mercury recoil reducer in the butt. I've been using for about 20 years and have shot well over 10,000 shells in it almost all 3" BB. Seems to me I also glass bed the butt stock when I first got it.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What might be your budget for this purchase? If it is in the $5000 range the Beretta 486 Parallelo is one sweet gun. Steel safe from the factory. Though, it does have choke tubes, so, you can configure it any way you wish. I have handled one and it is one nice gun.

Last edited by Jpari; 11/30/16 10:46 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm guessing few of those Berettas, or, any other gun at 5 large, spend much quality time clanking around in a duck boat, or, in the company of Labs.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used a CZ "Bobwhite" SXS stuffed with steel (#7 to #2) to kill ducks, geese, pheasant, five species of grouse, prairie chickens, gray partridge, three species of quail, three species of dove, and sand grouse. Cost $525. Discontinued by CZ last year, but new examples are still available online.

Last edited by Grouse Guy; 11/30/16 11:52 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.