June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, FallCreekFan, Drew Hause, 2 invisible), 574 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,585
Posts546,738
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38669 05/07/07 09:58 AM
al Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can A Ruger stainless receiver be blued or case colored successfully? I have one of the earlier 20 ga. models with blued receiver and like it much more than my late 28 ga. with bright stainless receiver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There used to be an outfit in Charlestown ,IL that did black chrome?
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since bluing/blacking/case color, in the traditional sense, are "rusting" processes, stainless will not do well; it is alloyed exactly to prevent rusting/corrosion. Black chrome plating should work and, perhaps, a black "plastic". Perhaps a more complicated layering of plate could be done wherein a mild steel/iron layer wound up on the outside.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stainless can be hot blued with the right set-up. However, the system is not too common among gunsmiths because of the extra cost for the tanks, burners, etc.

Black chrome is not too durable as I understand it, but I have no personal data. The following do black chrome

http://www.fordsguns.com/index2.htm
http://www.apwcogan.com/Refinishing%20prices.htm
http://techplate.com/firearms.htm also has a technical description of the coating.

OB

I would call Brownells and ask for the name of a gunsmith in your area who buys their stainless steel bluing salts.....if they're reluctant to give out the name of one of their customers, ask them to call their customer and get the gunsmith to call you.

al Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Orlen,

What is your opinion on the prospects of hot blueing a stainless Ruger receiver? What is the likelihood of ending up with an quality end result that is attractice and also durable? Are you equipped for this work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Until a few years ago, there was a fellow named J. Korzinek ( I believe John, but he always used the initial)in PA who "blued" stainless steel. He advertised for years in Rifle magazine (is that still around?)and his ads stressed 2 things: bluing stainless steel and .22 rimfire conversions on Ruger #1's. In the late 80's, I made a project of restocking a Ruger Red Label with crotch balck walnut. I put a round knob on the pistol grip and a schanble on the forend, had J. Korzinek blue it and called it my "Black Label." Pretty neat at the time. I sold it to a friend and it's in WI so I can't post a photo. But the action was very attractive. It was a satin matte black and I believe Mr. Korzinek told me that it was the only option; apparently a the process precludes a high polish in the finish. So I had him put a matte reblue on the barrels to match. It seemed to be "dimensionless" like any blue, i.e. it was not a thick layer of anything, and it wore well in the short time I owned it.

I already had a .22LR #1 at the time, so I never hired Mr. Korzinek for one. But 15 yrs later, my rimfire #1 was also gone and I got a hankering for one in .17HMR. That's when I went looking for Mr. Korzinek and concluded he had retired. BTW, I couldn't seem to find anybody doing those rimfire conversions anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on this, I believe Mr. Korzinek is most definitely retired.

http://www.guthrie.org/Services/ophthalmology/VisionToday_Spring05_WEB.pdf

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.