May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mike Harrell, SKB), 319 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,276
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought that Louis Henri Rieger was a E. Lefaucheux successor so was Chevalier et Dru and Louis Henri Rieger one in the same?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

More complicated.
Laffiteau bought the Lefaucheux name from the wife of Casimir (for 150,000FF!).
Rieger bought it from Laffiteau.
But Eugene Lefaucheux opened shop under his own name at the same time.
So there was a Lefaucheux brand (37 rue Vivienne) (owned by Laffiteau and then Rieger) and a E. Lefaucheux brand ( Rue Lafayette) at the same time.

I don't know when Rieger folded or even when he died, but both houses were bought by Mode eventually ( as well as Pirlet) at least by 1919.

I wish there were a book about Parisian outfits at the 19th/20th centuries junction. That would be quite helpful.
However, one would need to live there to research this.

All the best,

WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

"More complicated" - you said a mouthful there. Just in chasing C. Modé I've grown accustom to the complicated marrying of concerns. I think by at least WWI all were folded into C. Modé, but how did it survive and who was the owner.

Also we would need to be fluent in French as well. How 'bout a sporting weapons research movie with a theme similar to Midnight in Paris(2011-Owen Wilson). Would be really neat to travel back to the golden age even if it was purely in our minds.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sdidomen
Raimey, OK, here are two more pics forward and to the rear of the flats (behind the lug). To the best of my knowledge, these are the remaining markings on the gun.

Cheers,
Steve

The gun is Belgian, pre 1924. For all the world it looks like a Francotte, but does not have any of his marks. The CAC is the mark of Schaeffer & Kaufmann, a Belgian firm.
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

The choke mark with numbers places the gun after 1910. The lack of a barrel weight always is disconcerting, not unheard of.
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Widlcattle, read Gaier's 4 centuries or 5 centuries of gun making in Liege. He talks about "the German school". It explains much.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the review, Peter, especially the initials CAC of Schaeffer & Kaufmann. I have been searching for another trademark of LAM or LAN in a triangle, resembling that of Ancion

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20a/a%20ancion%20marx%20gb.htm

but I haven't been able to locate the post. Maybe it was on another site. Anyway, Ancion and Francotte seemed to be real chummy.

Does Marc give tours of Paris also, along with Belgium?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey: not sure where I harvested this image, but didn't we decide 'ACDH' & 'LAM' was Delvaux-Heuse and Ancion-Marx?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, yeah we are in the same boat and that jogs my memory but the initials LAM(LAN) were in a triangle and possibly on a German retailed sporting weapon. I assume you are keeping track of these Heuse-Ancion mergers?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Thanks for the review, Peter, especially the initials CAC of Schaeffer & Kaufmann. I have been searching for another trademark of LAM or LAN in a triangle, resembling that of Ancion

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20a/a%20ancion%20marx%20gb.htm

but I haven't been able to locate the post. Maybe it was on another site. Anyway, Ancion and Francotte seemed to be real chummy.

Does Marc give tours of Paris also, along with Belgium?

I can confirm LAM was Leopold Ancion-Marx, they also used "The Nice One", "The Small Belgian" and "The Victoire".

I believe Francotte had working relationships with many Belgian makers. He was also one of the founders of FN.

Ask Marc about Paris. It is several hours by train from Brussels or Liege. Not a cheap ticket. Paris is wonderful, expensive, but worth a trip by itself. I have usually stayed near Notre Dame, but that has been my choice. I like the latin quarter at night.

One of these days, when I retire, I would like spend about a week in France based out of Paris. All part of a grand trip....

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, I found the one I was thinking of but it doesn't apply as it is found on a 1946 O/U sporting weapon

Initials GAN in a triangle

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.