May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Southern Sport, Lloyd3, LeFusil, SKB, 2 invisible), 493 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,219
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Richard; As I understood TT's question which started this post he was not asking about current working men's guns but those vintge ones of the past. At least all the ones he named were of that catagory. He asked about NS's, 311's etc, he did not ask about Huglu's etc. At least that was my interpretation of the question. He did not even ask about which was currently the best buy, just which was considered the best of this class of (vintage) dbls.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really appreciate all the comments, and always love a good debate, but Miller's right about my question. I'm not saying that pumps and single shots weren't also working men's guns in their day, or that a Huglu or Benelli Nova wouldn't be the modern-day equivalent, but like the title of the topic says, I'm interested in opinions about old working men's doubles -- what we here often affectionately call "hardware store guns."

Since I'm already a Syracuse Lefever fan, maybe the "Lefever" Nitro Special would be the logical way for me to go here. It sounds like they would be on everyone's short list. I gather that some in this category were of reasonable weight and balance? The only gun of this type I've owned was my first, a Savage Fox Model B ... a 20 ga. that weighed as much as a 12. I now regret parting with it, but at the time, I just didn't see a practical use for keeping it in my gunsafe. Thanks. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins

I am surprised that no one has nominated the Winchester Model 24 (not that I am a fan of these beasts). Truly suitable as a shotgun, canoe paddle, or cudgel.

My Dad bought his 1906 Parker 16 VHE in a pawn shop in 1935, height of the depression, when he was working as a part-time musician. Seems to qualify it as a working man's gun (and I still have it). My uncle farmed alfalfa and did track maintenance for the Southern Pacific in the California desert, and his working gun was an old (even then) Model 12. That one is long gone. Both of these guys were on-gun hunters, and didn't really need anything else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Western Field, Crescent, Fulton, Stevens, Savage, Nitro Specials and all Sears brands were all working men guns. Fox, LC Smith and Parker were their bosses guns. Graded Fox, Smith and Parkers were the company owners guns.

Lots of the hardware guns were bought by working men and farmers. But I suspect more Belgian klunkers went to farms than working men houses.

Really the best was which everone was in your family and handed down to you. That is a classic gun no matter who made it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And speaking of M/W&Co. Western Field guns, I have an 80 year old Lefever Nitro Special marked only with those words. It's a 20 ga., too. Imagine the pioneering spirit of the working class person who bought a 20 double in 1926!
Also have owned a Hunter Fulton 16 bore marked "Ranger" I bought in the 50's for 35 bucks at Klein's Sporting Goods in Chicago. Like a fool, I sold it because it wasn't marked Hunter Arms! Chopper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by KY Jon:
Western Field, Crescent, Fulton, Stevens, Savage, Nitro Specials and all Sears brands were all working men guns. Fox, LC Smith and Parker were their bosses guns. Graded Fox, Smith and Parkers were the company owners guns.

Lots of the hardware guns were bought by working men and farmers. But I suspect more Belgian klunkers went to farms than working men houses.

Really the best was which everone was in your family and handed down to you. That is a classic gun no matter who made it.
You have hit it squarely on the head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by dubbletrubble:
Quote:
Originally posted by KY Jon:

You have hit it squarely on the head.
Agree with that; nicely expressed.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by chopperlump:
And speaking of M/W&Co. Western Field guns, I have an 80 year old Lefever Nitro Special marked only with those words. Chopper
Chopper, as I understand it (and Walt, correct me if I'm wrong) it may look like an NS but there is one significant difference. The frame on your gun (mine too, I have a 12ga M/W&Co, Western Field) is malleable iron as opposed to the NS which is steel.

Technically not a Nitro Special with differnet markings but a different gun. IMO.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, what exactly is a "working man"? My great-grandfather owned a mill......he had a shotgun with no disernable name on it. My other great-grandfather was a hellfire and brimstone preacher......he had a Sterlingworth. My grandfather was a farmer and fisherman......he had a Sears .22 rifle and shot birds on the ground and fish when they came to the surface. Dad had a Remington and sold for a living. Some of the Surgeons I know work 80 hours a week and have Purdeys or Brownings or in one case, a Ruger. I used to work 60-70 hours and now 30-40 and I have a bunch of guns. So how do you define that "working man"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"working man" = Salt of the earth. Def./People who are salt of the earth are decent, dependable and unpretentious.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.