May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (gil russell, Themauserkid, SKB, 375whelenIMP, Jason Dubois, 1 invisible), 318 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,339
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been playing with Terry's sorta-sporterized Krag Gallery Practice Rifle in 22LR since June. The magazine box and loading gate have been removed. The empties go into the magazine well. After shooting, you shake it like a piggy bank to get the empties out. This is a very interesting but very frustrating rifle. The barrel is one of the early ones made by Springfield, with a .226" groove diameter and an 18" twist. I have spent a lot of time measuring the diameters of various kinds of 22RF ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like BA single shots, along with most other guns. I have a Model 70 in 219 Wasp, a German Mauser 1934 sports model (very neat) and pictured here is a Niedner 22 Rimmed Magnum from 1933 and obviously not a Shelhamer stock. Double set triggers are rare in Krags I have heard.

I have a couple of cutdown Krags and converting one to 25-35 sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions as to who would do this to be used with peep sight????

gbehrman
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend Fearless Frank has a cute little sporter 40X in 22LR, with the original heavy target 40X barrel tapered to sporter contour and installed into an old 722 stock. I sometimes use it as my benchmark rifle when testing, since it will handily shoot into .5-.7 MOA. It really needs a much better stock but Frank is too cheap.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I have single shot rifle that is kinda neat. It has a double set trigger and a receiver sight. It also has a single trigger and a tangent rear sight. YES, both! I have been told that the type of match being shot determines the trigger and sight combination to be installed.

The rifle is a single shot Mauser, 8.15X 46.

Gary Bush

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice rifles, ideas, guys! Many thanks for the responses!

Gary, I have seen single shot Mausers chambered in 8.15x46R before, but NEVER one with the combination of accessories you have. The usual ones I've seen are very plain with military Mauser sights and stocks called something like "serviceman's rifles." I have seen one similar sporter with "simple" open sights (German-style sights can never really be called "simple," can they?). I assume the "serviceman's rifles" were used for military-style target shooting mainly.

J.D., I'm with Frank. Squint and put up with it if it shoots like that....but then cheap is a high compliment in my family (we say "close").

gbehrman, a .25-35 Krag IS a good idea. Don't know a 'smith for you any more, but somebody must be around who can barrel a Krag for less than Fort Knox (assuming it isn't full of IOUs in Chinese characters now....). Hope you have the peep sight; think they might be hard to find.

Last edited by Mike Armstrong; 11/03/10 11:12 PM. Reason: typing
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike:

Mine is not U.S. marked and has a stock that I suspect is aftermarket - at least I've never seen another on one like it. It came with no iron sights and nearly flawless blue and wood finish. It sat on a local dealer's shelf for almost 8 months before I bought it. I think part of the problem was the Canjar LP trigger which had been installed. The trigger blade is just a bent aluminum bar and I suspect that, combined with the approximately 2 ounce trigger pull put many potential buyers off. Since I just wanted something to shoot off a bench, I didn't care.

With the ammo it likes best, it averages 0.37 inches for ten 5-shot groups at 50 yards. I suspect a better benchrest shooter would do better than that, but I cannot.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary, your SS Mauser is hard to believe. When I was a teenager, about fifty years ago, I maintained a collection of WW2 bringbacks for a Colonel who was a friend of a friend of my Dad's. Among the rather large collection was a SS 8.15X46. I was intrigued by the quality and condition, but never shot it. I was on a mission to shoot every one of those guns and almost made it. I have not seen one since.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an early 40X in 222 with the barrel set back for a tight neck chamber with 2oz trigger and a Remington 24x scope on it. It is still competitive by me doing my part. quite a few under .250 groups from the bench. My favorite SS is my 310 Martini in 30/30 Wesson. Remington tacticle barrel and tight neck chamber. Best cast bullet gun i have ever owned. Joe you have the reamer. Its a good one. 40X my BSA Mkll has shot the best groups of any 22s at the local rimfire matches It will hold its own against the modern rifles with Walmart amo.Try it out. Best trigger I have ever used. Got it hand picked from Thad Scott years ago.
Tom

tomc #208037 11/05/10 11:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a solid bottom, FN Mauser single shot stocked and finished by Jerry Fisher on my website. Scroll down to near the bottom of the Fisher page.
SS bolt rifles never made much sense to me.. but these are some mighty fine rifles!

SDH-MT #208041 11/05/10 12:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT

SS bolt rifles never made much sense to me

I agree, it seems like Jumbo Shrimp. I was told many years ago that if it's not a Falling Block or a Rolling Block it's not a real SS. It's nothing more than a modified repeater. grin
S T.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.