June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (irs), 243 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,609
Posts546,944
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207307 10/28/10 10:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought this might be an interesting story someone might enjoy. When I was a teenager in the early 70's I always wanted a double barrel hammer shotgun to hunt with. You would think it wouldn't be any trouble to find one in rural Southern Illinois, but to a kid with limited funds, no drivers license and a father who discouraged me at every turn {You'll blow your head off with one of those old guns!} it seemed as if I would never own one. Following up on one of the few leads I had, a friend and I went to an old black man's home who it was rumoured had several, indeed he did, missing various parts with stocks made of what appeared to be two by fours and held together with friction tape and stove bolts. I remember breaking one open, rather forcefully and looking down the barrels, they appeared to be full of dirt, etc. I blew in one and roaches shot out the end of the barrel, true story, and the old man laughed. His asking price was $50.00, I was actually considering it I was so desperate to own a hammergun, but held off. About a month or two later, I heard about a man in town who was moving and having an auction and had an old double barrel for sale. I went to his house and knowing my family, he agreed to let me look at the gun in question. He came out with an old rotten looking canvas case and pulled out what turned out to be a W. Richards Belgium 12 gauge double with hammers. Gun was in reasonably good shape, no tape or stove bolts and had a deerhead buttplate which only added to it's beauty in my eyes. If he had pulled out a Parker Invincible I couldn't have been more excited. For the next week I plotted about how I could get it, how much it would cost, etc. On the day of the auction I showed up with my bankroll of 38 dollars I had saved mowing yards. When the gun came up I bid on it, a 15 year old kid, bought it for $32.00 and was allowed to go home with it. Those were the good old days I guess. My Dad still thought I was nuts to want it, but didn't forbid me owning it. My buddy and I heard that it was dangerous to shoot twist steel and had heard of prooftesting so I swiped a couple of 3 inch magnum goose loads from the old man, took it back to the woods behind our house, stuffed both shells in it, cocked both hammers and let fly. The gun jumped, I fell on my butt with a bruised shoulder with a deerhead imprint on it but the old gun held firm. After that I shot whatever I could find to shoot in it. The only flaw I could see in it was the right side of the forearm had a split about 2 inches long and I was afraid it would get caught on something and break off. This was before the days of epoxy or anything like that and no glue would hold it. I finally took two brass tacks and drove them in to hold the crack together. For the next five years or so I used that gun for anything that walked, crawled or flied, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, etc. When I was 20 years old, an old WW1 veteran offered me 50 dollars for it and in a moment of weakness I let it go. He died within a year and I always wondered what happened to it. Last fall, at age 53 I went to a local auction about 30 miles from where I grew up. There were a couple of old guns leaning up against a shed at the auction and I told my brother, who was with me, that looks like my old double. I picked it up and again remarked how much it looked like my old gun, same patina, everything. He said how can you tell and I remarked, just joking actually, if it's got two brass tacks in the forearm, that's it. I rolled it over and like Fred Sanford, I about had the big one. There were the two tacks just as I had hammered them in 38 years before. And here's where it gets really strange. The auctioneer was the same auctioneer who conducted the auction I originally bought it at. To make a long story just a little longer, it's now back home. Only thing is, I don't think I'll be shooting any 3 inch magnums in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice story and thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is quite a interesting story !

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks
Chicken soup for the soul
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story! I wish that would happen for me, particularly with a very slightly holster-worn S&W top break 44. I needed cash for a different gun and let the 44 go. Cheers!

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's better when he tells you that tale with the gun laying across his lap. I don't recally the last time I saw a man so happy as when he showed it to me for the first time.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went to an auction a few years ago, bid on a nice Browning Superposed with a terrible restock because I knew I had a Superposed stock at home in nice condition that I had been given by a stockmaker friend years before. The stock was the stock from the gun I bought!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was a very good story. Thanks. I'm glad to hear you now understand that Proof testing just isn't done the way you did it as a teenager. When folks ask me if it bothers me that I have daughters, but no sons, I reply, "Hell no, boys do way more stupid things than girls." It's a wonder most of us are here.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat story, for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for recanting that story, Possumhunter. I nearly got choked up. I'll bet it won't be leaving you again!!

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.