Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Was doing my version of a garage cleanup yesterday and stumbled across some reloading components that were given to me by a friend long ago that moved out of the area.

Included were 1,250 new Winchester AA 12 gauge wads (WAA12 White wads), and about a 1,000 empty 12 gauge AA Hulls. Then digging around some more I found a full bag of SPRED-R inserts from Polywad (12SD5). Still have to purchase some powder and some primers, which I can do locally and that's where I need some help.

Given the above starting point and using a MEC 600 Junior, can anyone provide some low pressure load data for the above with the SPRED-R inserts.

PS. Load will be for a Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge in excellent condition and it is choked full/mod. Looking for 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 ounce load data.

Double PS. The inserts came with some loading data already, using Gread Dot powder 1 1/8 oz. However, pressure is over 9000 LUP and there is no way I want to shoot that much pressure.

Thanks mucho.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tut:

I would (and have) loaded Spred-R loads in AA hulls using the standard low pressure loading data from the IMR manual. I load 1/8 ounce less shot than the load calls for and insert the Spred-R wad, which seems to still fill the hull completely and provide a good crimp. I've never had the loads pressure tested, but they start in the 4500-5500 PSI range in the manual before the substitution and the wad weighs a whole lot less than the 1/8 ounce of pellets I remove. Breaks clay birds with some authority on the skeet field (but then, doesn't almost anything?).

In the alternative, you might check with Ballistic Products and see if they have any data, as they sell the wads. You could also contact Poly-Wad, who makes the Spred-R wads, and ask them.

Rem

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. Poly-wad did supply some data, but very high pressure loads came with the inserts. I actually purchased the inserts directly from Poly-wad. I'll check out the IMR data.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simply take a proven recipe of whatever constitution you like and substitute a PW insert for 1/8 ounce of shot. This is the standard practice endorsed by the maunfacturer.

If you have a favorite 1 ounce load of a particular velocity and pressure, load the exact same components, except drop 7/8 ounce of shot. The PW insert takes up approximately the same amount of space as 1/8 ounce of shot....meaning the crimps should be similar...but weighs considerably less....meaning, if anything, a slight reduction in pressure and a slight increase in velocity. Of course, to concoct a 1 ounce spreader, you start with a 1 1/8 ounce recipe.

Velocity and choke will influence your results and there are further refinements to the process, should you become interested enough in making the best spreaders.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tut,

I am doing what Rem is. With WW AA hull, WW 209 primer, 23.0 grains of IMR 7625, AA wad, 7/8 oz shot, SpredR insert yields 1150 fps @ 5500 psi.

I loaded some 20 gauge shells with the Ballistics Products insert and I found it to be a pain....

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may need to decrease the shot more than 1/8. Crimping over the SpredRs can be tough.

ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Is IMR 7625 a good all weather/temperature powder? Good to load a Parker Damascus gun for January rabbit hunting? Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ben-t
Is IMR 7625 a good all weather/temperature powder? Good to load a Parker Damascus gun for January rabbit hunting? Thank you!

NO, Definitely not. I am not a Ballistician, but speaking only from Personal Experience, any shell I loaded using 7625 with a pressure of less than 7,500 psi would only use a Hot Primer & "Only" be used at warmer temps & under conditions that if it squibbed it wouldn't really matter. I learned my lesson in a Duck Swamp, I will never again use a low pressure load of 7625 on game, & definitely not if its getting the slighest Chilly.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.