June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Researcher, Stanton Hillis, LGF), 344 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,611
Posts546,971
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1. In general, how is a barrel proofed?

2. Why do some doubleguns seem to have lots of proof marks?

3. Do I need to get my guns reproofed? In particular, My Iver Johnson Supertrap, from which I have shot 25 rounds from both barrels, my Iver Johnson Special Trap, from which I have shot several rounds, my WWII Stevens 620, which was recently overhauled and test fired by the gunsmith.

4. How do you know that the proof test round is not the straw that broke the camel's back and that the next round will be okay?

Thank you
Lou

Last edited by Bushmaster; 04/16/10 08:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
1. In general, how is a barrel proofed? Actually, the entire gun is proofed, not just the barrels. In the UK, it is submitted (gunmaker may be required) to the Proof House (London or Birmingham) for "viewing" (observation and measurement) by highly skilled technicians. It is returned if it does not pass exacting standards of condition. If it passes "view," it is fired (used to be once but now is twice, BOMK)with highly controlled ammo. After firing, it is again "viewed" for any changes in dimensions of conditiion. In the USA, manufacturers are on the hook for any failures, so proof is by company standard. There is no standardized proof in USA.

2. Why do some doubleguns seem to have lots of proof marks? In the UK, guns go out of proof for certain maintenance and repair work (repeated or prolonged bore honing, rechambering, rib relaying, etc.). Also, many guns were proofed only for BP originally. You might find an old, well used gun that had original BP proofs, later nitro proofs, later yet reproof for bore enlargement, and still later yet reproof for chamberlengthening.

3. Do I need to get my guns reproofed? In particular, My Iver Johnson Supertrap, from which I have shot 25 rounds from both barrels, my Iver Johnson Special Trap, from which I have shot several rounds, my WWII Stevens 620, which was recently overhauled and test fired by the gunsmith. The mentioned guns don't seem like candidates for reproof. As USA guns, who would you get to reproof them? You could send them to the UK, but that does not seem like a good plan to me unless, of course, you have reason to be concerned about them. Then, a good USA gunsmith will be your best approach.

4. How do you know that the proof test round is not the straw that broke the camel's back and that the next round will be okay? Overload testing is a well developed engineering practice. Proof firing is calculated to take the gun near, but not past, the highest pressure it can be expected to withstand. As long as there are no dimensional or condition changes, the gun is unlikely to fail in normal use. Stress loading of steel is cumulative only in terms of fatigue - it is vastly unlikely that you will ever fire any barrel enough times to experience a fatigue failure (mulit-million cycles).

Thank you. Hope this helps some. If it is unclear, post back.
Lou

Boxlock
Boxlock

There are more than enough guns out there nitro-proofed that are not in proof any longer via changing various tubes dimension. . Always check your dimension and do not assume it is in proof. Conversely I've seen many doubles out side of the UK not nitro proofed that meets all spec for proofing. They were not subjected to proof house test

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
In the USA, manufacturers are on the hook for any failures, so proof is by company standard. There is no standardized proof in USA

Respectfully, and with no offense intended, this is inaccurate. In the US Proof standards are set jointly by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Standards Institute (SAAMI) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Copies of the manufacturing standards, including proof, are available from SAAMI for a fee.

If what you had intended was to write that proof is not legally required in the US, then that would have been correct. Proof testing in the US is voluntary. Here in the US we do not give our government the control over firearms common in Europe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, I agree with your statements and good points made. I agree that My statement is too broad. You are right that I meant to say that USA manufactureres are not required to follow SAAMI standards and there is no USA proof house. USA follows self-certification, which I support.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The British proof laws concern the sale of firearms not the rights of the individual owner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite right Justin; it is not set by the Government but introduced by the gun trade to stop poor quality stuff getting out to the public and causing injury. It is run by the Guardians of the Proof House who are made up of Gunmakers and Gunsmiths. I take quite a few there, usually blkack powder proof guns for nitro proofing and look upon it as a safeguard for me. All American guns that are imported here to Britain have to be submitted via the proof house before they can legally be offered for sale but If I import one for my own use it does not. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

deleted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
1. In general, how is a barrel proofed? Actually, the entire gun is proofed, not just the barrels. In the UK, it is submitted (gunmaker may be required) to the Proof House (London or Birmingham) for "viewing" (observation and measurement) by highly skilled technicians. It is returned if it does not pass exacting standards of condition. If it passes "view," it is fired (used to be once but now is twice, BOMK)with highly controlled ammo. After firing, it is again "viewed" for any changes in dimensions of conditiion. In the USA, manufacturers are on the hook for any failures, so proof is by company standard. There is no standardized proof in USA.

At one time the barrels were proofed, at least in Belgium. Once they pass proof, then they were fitted to the action and the entire gun was proofed. The Belgians had a separate proof mark for the barrels.
See marks #6 and #8 here, also #30 which indicates that a separate proofing of the barrels is now optional:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

I have pictures of a bank of barrels being proofed, just can't locate them at the moment. I am not clear as to the current CIP practices, but believe Don is correct. It is an easy mistake to make given the long history....

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

This proof of the bbls only was also once commonly done in England also. There were two sets of marks, one for prelimiary or provisional proof which was carried out at an early stage on the bbls only. There was then a mark for Definitive or Final proof which was for the assembled bbls & action. At a fairly early date a provision was made that an assembled gun could be submitted for a definitive proof which did not have the provisional one for the bbls. It was given a different mark than the regular definitive one & proofed with a heavier load than ordinarly, but not as heavy as the provisional one. My I Hollis muzzleloader is marked with this combined proof mark denoting it only received the one proof.
The provisional proof was I believe primarily set up for the purpose of catching bbls having faulty welds, prior to a lot of work being bestowed upon them only to have them fail proof later. The bore was unfinished & a plug installed in the breech for the proof, which was accomplished with a very heavy charge.
I suspect a lot of this dual proofing was phased out over time after bbl production became virtually universal of steel construction. While flaws in steel bbls are not unheard of, they are not doubt less common than were faulty welds in composite bbls.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.