June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (eightbore, gerryk_5, FallCreekFan, Lloyd3, Jeremy Pearce, bushveld, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,690
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

JD said he liked Nevil Shute. Look for Shute's "Most Secret", "The Far Country", and "Requiem for a Wren". I'll offer the same lending as previously posted. Also, if you like SF, try to find Robert Heinlin's "Glory Road".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mkbenenson
Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South is, IMO, a classic.

Thanks Mark I have that on a list, is that the book where the South, during the Civil War were armed with AK-47's?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have all of Heinlein and much of Shute, always looking for more. Shute's In The Wet and Round The Bend have had major influences upon my thinking about politics and sprituality(NOT The Spirit World but spirituality rather than religion), respectively. IMO reading Heinlein is always a quick refresher on the libertarian values that I espouse. And it's obvious that he knew guns.

Another UK author I really like is Jack Whyte. Absolutely nothing to do with guns at all, his Camulod Chronicles have absorbed me for several years now. I've already long since read all the other Arthurian retellings beginning with Malory and I gotta say that IMO Whyte's Camulod series just blows the others away. It's as good IMO as if Patrick O'Brian or Wilbur Smith had written them. Different of course but IMO definitely in the same class of meticulous historian/splendid storyteller.

Possibly my favorite fiction book so far is Robinson Crusoe. Says a lot about my essential character, I'm sure.
Regards, Joe

Last edited by J.D.Steele; 09/02/09 12:42 PM.

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

mike, yes it is.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Possibly my favorite fiction book so far is Robinson Crusoe. Says a lot about my essential character, I'm sure.
Regards, Joe'

In that case I'll also send "The Earth Abides" you will feel right at home with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele

Another UK author I really like is Jack Whyte. Absolutely nothing to do with guns at all, his Camulod Chronicles have absorbed me for several years now. I've already long since read all the other Arthurian retellings beginning with Malory and I gotta say that IMO Whyte's Camulod series just blows the others away. It's as good IMO as if Patrick O'Brian or Wilbur Smith had written them. Different of course but IMO definitely in the same class of meticulous historian/splendid storyteller.

In the last 2 years I've read a 3-4 versions of the Arthurian legend including 'The Once and Future King". Whyte's is right there at the top. It all started with the Romans!

Anyone interested in the Knightly genre would do well to read Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company". An overlooked gem by the creator of Mr. Holmes.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Green Frog
S-T & MP, the Donald Hamilton of Camp Perry/Navy Pistol Team fame and the Donald Hamilton of note as author of the Matt Helm series, etc are in fact two different individuals with the same name.

Well I guess that explains why Donald Hamilton the shooter never said anything about writing fiction books. Amazing that two people with the same name had an interest in guns.
S T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I should also say something about "Reflections Man and Boy- An Australian Hunter's Whimsy" by Ron Forsyth (Pseudonym). This is a book I would compare to Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy" if for no other reason that's is one of must reads out there. 1997, Australia ISBN 0 9589886 6 8

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan Furst's pre-WWII and WWII spy novels are, excuse me, "Furst rate" and he usually get the guns right, too. Be prepared to visit European "countries" you may never have heard of--many no longer exist. Probably the one to start with is "The Polish Officer." Sad, like what happened to Poland.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
Anyone interested in the Knightly genre would do well to read Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company". An overlooked gem by the creator of Mr. Holmes.

And don't forget Conan Doyle's Sir Nigel and the Professor Challenger stories including The Lost World.

An interest and an uncle in experimental aviation led me to try Dean Ing's works. Most are well worth reading although fanciful at times. He, too, knows guns quite well and also how to fabricate things with his hands. He also knows hard science and his expertise shows in his writing. For instance he and the Rutan brothers run with the same crowd, the Society of Experimantal Test Pilots. Just FYI these are the astronauts among others and one of the Rutans (Dick?) holds the first non-stop global circumnavigation record along with his copilot, a female whose name has become lost in my CRS. BTW most of these SETP guys look down on Chuck Yeager as a jumped-up grandstander who, after first disobeying orders, then took credit for another man's prior accomplishment(breaking supersonic). That should give you some idea of their relative level of knowledge, experience and expertise. Dean Ing is one of them and writes a good thriller most of the time.

Kinda reminds me of Robert Heinlein and Jerry Pournelle, all are/were hard scientists and libertarians. Pournelle hasn't written any fiction lately that I've seen, but many if not most of his older works are worth reading and reflect a hard-nosed libertarian attitude as well as a knowledge of guns, war and history. His sometime partner(!?) Larry Niven however is IMO a typical SoCal trust fund baby who's never grown up and knows next to nothing about guns. His (Niven's) works, although entertaining in a rose-colored way, IMO are more suited to gentle people like him.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.