doublegunshop.com - home
It's been several years since I came here inquiring about an old German Drilling I'd picked up, and I still haven't found anyone to help repair it. I've been thinking about finding a different drilling in shooting order, just so I have something to play with until the first project one is fixed. I came across a gun very similar to mine, except the rifle barrel is (supposedly) chambered in 9.3x82R.

I already have ammo and brass for 9.3x72R. I took a look at schematics of both rounds and they seem very similar except for the length. Can you shoot 9.3x72 ammo out of a 9.3x82 chambered gun? I'm assuming the extra centimeter of bullet jump won't help accuracy, but would it be unsafe?
Possum,
What you are proposing was often done when 9.3x82 brass was unattainable. Other than the accuracy problem you mentioned, I don't recall any real problems. I would think you might need to anneal the case necks more often. I think brass is available from Bertram, check companies representing them in the US. Remind us, what was the problem with the other drilling?
Mike
Good to know, and thanks for the info. I asked because I have not been able to locate any 9.3x82 Nimrod brass yet. Bertram does sell 9.3x82R Basic brass, but I'm assuming it would first need to be full-length sized in the proper dies to form the body taper (they don't show a picture of it). Since those dies are so expensive, I was hoping to find something that would already fit into the chamber, and just neck size with other dies for reloading. Maybe.

The drilling I acquired several years ago has a cracked frame, and so far I've not found anyone willing to risk welding it up for me. It has been a long time since I welded anything, so I was hoping to find a pro. The spring for the underlever also broke, and I fashioned a new one from a scrap piece of L6 steel, but I still need to heat treat it.

Looks like the pictures are gone now, but I asked about that gun in this thread: Drilling ID
http://www.waffen-dorfner.at/seltene-buchsenpatronen/
Marc.
My first question would be is the 9.3 X 82 the straight case or the Thieme & Schlegelmilch Nimrod version? Reason I ask is my T&S in 9.3 X 75R Nimrod is a bottleneck case. Unless I'm mistaken, entirely possible, the Nimrod cases were proprietary and bottlenecked. If you haven't I believe I'd do a chamber cast first. If you have and know obviously I am out of line and apologize.

For brass Graf's has 9.3 X 82R in stock. Pricey but they have it. I used it to form my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod....very carefully at that price!!

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/825?
Yes, you can do it, not unsafe, the difference is only the length, also 9,3 x 57R/360long, 9,3 x 65R Collath, 9,3 x 70R, 9,3 x 80T Collath possible. The only problem is when you do it very often the chamber will be burn out.

http://www.municion.org/9_3/Nimrod.htm
This guy might be the one to do your welding. It's worth a call.

http://www.restorativewelding.com/Welcome.html

Regards
Ken
the possum,
Be advised that any welded receiver is cause for rejection by the German Proof Houses. Of course I know the drilling is not located in Germany and will not be subject to mandatory proofing. Just be very cautious and evaluate the potential effects of welding the receiver. Also, you should evaluate the probable cause of the crack, in the first place. I have one that is also cracked, and I am convinced it cracked by shooting the shotgun rather than the rifle, as one would naturally suppose. This one is a 12 ga which naturally has short chambers. In addition to the centerline of 12 ga. chambers being higher than 16 ga. would be(creating a longer "lever arm" to transmit forces to the receiver through a larger "piston"), it also has a tight bore, as often found in 12 ga. drillings( often with 13 or 13/1 ga barrel). I think using 2 3/4" high pressure shells could have been the cause of the crack. Also,it has a "D" chamber which makes it unlikely that easily available 9.3X72R Norm. was used in it. You might evaluate yours, considering these or similar factors.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com