doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Loco Pirate Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 01:31 AM
I have a drilling Double 16 X 8.7 Marked only RWS with lever under trigger housing to open and can find no info on this. Can some one help w/ info and perhaps value?
Posted By: m-4 Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 02:26 AM
Not many clue there! The JRS only means that it is 8x57JRS cal for the rifle bbl, 8x57 Rimmed with .323 dia bullet. Pictures of the watertables (action flats) & any markings on the bottom side of the bbls from the breech end to the forend hanger will reveal more along with overall pic's of the gun & action.

m-4
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 04:45 AM

Post 1912(& prior to 1923) Roux type Dreiläufer in 9.3X72R(tight) by someone like R.W. in Suhl. Any more marks or initials around the forend hanger?

Axel E.'s answer on the misnomer Roux: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post219150

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 01:03 PM
It was proofed/proved in Suhl with a 13 grain bullet. M4 was trying to direct me but I don't see the JRS. Some choices for R.W. are Richard Wagner although I don't know if he claimed Suhl or Zella-Mehlis as home, Robert Werner and I'm sure there are others.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Loco Pirate Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 03:22 PM
Sorry I ment RWS and not JRS "my bad"
Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 07:01 PM
Loco Pirate,

No need to apologize; you typed RWS the first time.

I can see the JRS thing popping up in ones subconscious though, especially with those of us dialed into the German and Austrian guns.

I suspect your gun is a JR (.318") but by all means slug the bore to make sure. Launching a JRS (.323") down the bore, if it would chamber, may have some unsavory consequences ... to say the least.

Buchseman
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/24/12 08:34 PM
There isn't a 0.318" possibility in 9,3X72R. Maybe a 0.355"

Kind Regards

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/25/12 02:52 AM
There you go, now I did it. I took off on the .318"/.323" following on M-4's response. It can happen.

Raimey is right with 8.7 being well over that of any 8mm. The true conversion of 8.7 mm to inches being .3425". That being so you have a 9 mm variation.

Buchseman
Posted By: m-4 Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/25/12 03:47 AM
I had already confessed my error with the owner via PM after seeing the pictures of the bottom of the bbl clearly marked 8.7x72 blush
I should know by now to withold comment until all available informatation has been reviewed. My bad!
m-4
Posted By: Kiwi Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 01/28/12 08:38 AM
My very similar looking Drilling is also marked 8,7mm (clearly it’s bore diameter, not it’s groove one), but what exactly did that mean? I fitted a recently made 9,3x72R cartridge down the tube and it almost fit. I asked my gunsmith to do a chamber casting with Cerosafe. Measured close to the land impressions, it was .364”, corresponding to the typical 9,3x72R bore. So although it's marked 8,7mm but it's certainly not a 9.0mm.

I later obtained a copy of the Gun Digest 1955 article “Proof in Modern Germany”, in which Baron von Engelhart stated: “The very commonly used 9,3x72 (now called 9,3x72R), frequently was marked as 8,7 and similar”. Evidently 8,7; 8,75 or 8,8mm descriptions were also used for the same cartridge.

There are also 3 variations on the 9,3x72R chamber, (called E, D and Normal), and, with the correct FL sizer die set from CH4D, it will now readily chamber modern S&B 9,3x72R cases after they have been full length sized and also after their rims have been thinned. I have here cartridge drawings showing the difference between the D and E cases.

Perhaps this will be of help. If you do prove to have a 9,3x72R, the bullets are smaller than 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R, so be caseful about that also. S&B and RWS both make them.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Req. information on JRS Drilling - 02/08/13 10:02 PM
Chasing something else like the Beckerflinte, Becker & Holländer Waffenbau or just info on Becker and found some RW and RWS initials that caught my eye. RW and RWS just might be for Römerwerk Waffenteilefabrik for a finite time span.

Vorbohren, bohren, reiben und honen - sources give that a large percentage of tubes at one time originated at Römerwerk Waffenteilefabrik(1921-1931?)- Some give an origin prior to WWI. Friedrich Wilhelm Heym looks to have heavily sourced Römerwerk and owned or absorbed it at some point(1931-1938).

"Jacob Roehmer, Suhl was the manager of the "Römerwerk", mostly a machine shop and parts factory supplying the guntrade, though they made guns of their own too, like the unique "Roemerpistole",which could be converted to a selfloading rifle, or the selfloading "Beckerflinte" shotgun. Many "name" gunmakers like Dornheim, Greifelt, Thieme & Schlegelmilch, Stadelmann, several Kesslers, Funks, Jungs were shareholders."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233908&Searchpage=1&Main=21498&Words=r%F6merwerk&Search=true#Post233908

I believe Emil & Ernst Kerner, Christoph Funk, Thieme & Schlegelmilch-mentioned above(later owned by Alfred & Ernst Funk), F.W. Keßler(mentioned above) and a few others also sourced Römerwerk.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com