doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geno Interesting German drilling - 06/29/11 07:30 AM
Two smooth barrels 16G made from Bernard-I damascus, rifled barrel from fluid steel. Caliber seems Mauser 11,15x60R. Roux lever. The sign on top reeb, the man from Breslau, I believe he was seller.
I wonder what is two letters mean SS (its not Sauer) on rifled barrel, gun maker or barrel maker? I guess Raymey could explain this wink
Photos (many photos!) are here
http://www.gallery.conclav.ru/division/gallery_69.html
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting German drilling - 06/29/11 01:40 PM
Geno, yeah you are correct on the firearms merchant. At a quick glance at many of the extensive images I guess it to be a Meffert Treff(coil springs), or variant, and not for the domestic German market per se. Meffert seemed to have a strong sourcing line to the Zella-Mehlis contingent of craftsmen for this Treff variant with the Roux type underlever. "SS"( with a punch mark) is very common on those as well as "GS" and for now I guess those initials to point to some of the Schilling klan. GGCA publication No. 41/Fall/Winter 2009 page 12 has a Chinaman's hammer Lefaucheux type dreiläufer peddled by C. Stiegele of München with the same stamp. I have little confidence that Stiegele applied much effort to the elaborate weapon. Their initials tend to have the over-strike on the "S" where the Sauer "S" or "S"s did not have that. Lower tube is from the Schilling forge and I would bet the pattern welded tubes were sourced from Liege as you indicate. Very interesting switcher/safety in the triggerbow guard as well as the stamp "Belgien 106297"??? I assume the selector is on the top tang?? I suspect the patent number on the top rib is for the pop up sight; note the lever in the doll's-head well in the receiver. Hopefully Axel or Shotgun Charlie has a reference on the patent numbers.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: kuduae Re: Interesting German drilling - 06/29/11 07:08 PM
This Drilling was retailed by Paul Mossiers, Junkernstr., Breslau, Silesia, who opened his business in 1897.
It is made to Jacob Roehmer's German Patent DRP #72583, 10.14.1892
see: http://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?action=pdf&docid=DE000000072583A
for the set/single trigger arrangement. Jacob Roehmer, Suhl was the manager of the "Römerwerk", mostly a machine shop and parts factory supplying the guntrade, though they made guns of their own too, like the unique "Roemerpistole",which could be converted to a selfloading rifle, or the selfloading "Beckerflinte" shotgun. Many "name" gunmakers like Dornheim, Greifelt, Thieme & Schlegelmilch, Stadelmann, several Kesslers, Funks, Jungs were shareholders.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting German drilling - 06/20/12 10:11 PM
By the early 1900s a cat named Gabriel was the owner of the concern on Junkernstraße.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com