doublegunshop.com - home
I have been meaning to post this for some time.

There was recent speculation about which was Michael’s favorite rifle. I think I know but it is only indirect evidence.

His gun room was rather narrow but long enough to accommodate two tiers of exquisite rifles on one long wall and one narrow wall with shotguns and single shot rifles. As you walked through the door located at one corner of a long wall you were looking directly into the opposite long wall of the room that displayed what is probably the most extraordinary collect of American gunmakers’ 1903 Springfield rifles that has been assembled. This is speculation on my part and certainly open to dispute from the many collectors that he befriended over the years of collecting.

The short wall at the left at entering had a large overstuffed chair and the other long wall that shared the vault door had drawers and shelves of sights, ammunition, scopes and other shooting paraphernalia. The chair was the helm of the room. At some point in every visit Michael settled into the chair. Directly to his left on the lower tier of the Springfields is what I soon surmised to be the ‘Number 1’ position of the room. He could, without effort, swing his left arm out and grasp the rifle located here. It was the Wundhammer that he and others fabricated with only the gorgeous stock, without doubt the work of Wundhammer, as a starting point.

I think that he had an extraordinary pride in having directed and participated in seeing that Phoenix rise through ownership of this stock.

It is the only rifle that I attempted to purchase through the auction and sadly, it was out of reach. I don’t know who the person is that got the gun but know that I never visited Michael that he didn’t pick this rifle up, admire it and tell a bit more of how it came about or something of it that he admired. No other gun received this level of attention and whoever now owns it, you are a very lucky person.
Dennis
I spent a few wonderful afternoons visiting with Michael in that room. I would have to agree that was one of his favorite rifles.

I was sorting through some of my picture files and came across this one. When I saw this rifle (not the one you referred to) I asked Michael if it was ever in the Monty Kennedy book, "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks." He said it was and said I had a good eye. He snapped a picture of me with it and emailed it to me. It has become one of my favorite pictures. I cherish the all to brief time I knew Michael.

Great pic, rifle, memory!
+1
I was fortunate enough to purchase the James V. Howe rifle at the auction, but I am looking for some help in identifying another recently purchased rifle. It is a model 54 Winchester in 22 Hornet that has been restocked in the highest manner and other refinements added. Records indicate gun was made 1929-30 based on serial number. I have taken the gun apart except for the classic trapdoor butt plate which houses storage for the slide portion of the Lyman peep and two cartridges. The only mark on the stock is a stylized letter "P" right behind the rear screw of the trigger housing. How do you post pictures on this site so I can give some visuals?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com