doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jim Westberg Ooops!!!! - 03/03/14 10:09 PM
OOPS!!!
About a year ago I sent this stock off to be checkered and I am just now beginning to be able to look at the gun again. Fortunately, I made it for myself and didn’t have to apologize to a customer for the outcome.
A couple of months after sending the rifle off, I was notified that the job was finished and sent the balance of the quoted price for the job.
When the rifle was returned and I saw the result, I sent him an email to him noting that we all make mistakes but at the same time I was wondering what happened. Never did receive a reply, explanation or apology.
There is no real ‘fix’ to the problem short of restocking the gun and my blood pressure still raises every time I look at it.
Thoughts???
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/03/14 10:13 PM
OUCH!

"Thoughts?" How do I avoid sending a stock to the same place?

I'm hoping to teach myself to checker but I may have at least one, and maybe two rifles that I've restocked that are too nice to risk doing it myself.
Posted By: J Scott McCash Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/03/14 11:41 PM
Jim,
I would certainly expect ALL of my money back for the checkering job. While anyone can make a mistake, asking you for the balance not answering you when you tried to contact him, shows me you are dealing with someone without honor. I suggest you post his name with a picture of his work, not to hurt his business, but to protect others.
Posted By: Flygas Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 01:03 AM
I agree! Especially since he's refused any further contact with you, it's only fair you give him his proper "credit" and share his name along with the photos. Surely no proper (term used loosely) gunsmith would want to remain anonymous and miss out on any free publicity!
Posted By: LRF Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 01:57 AM
Jim, feel sorry for you.
I think I would try to contact him again and ask for an explanation. In your message you could state what you want as compensation and if not satisfied then you would consider showing his work publicly and giving him credit.
And try to get the pressure down that can only hurt you
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 03:45 AM
I agree, post the name to help protect others.
Best,
Craig
Posted By: Carpetsahib Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 04:06 AM
It might be possible to salvage it. I would like to see photos of the rest of the checkering, particularly where the points lie in relation to each other. It might be possible to file the tang down and reshape the stock behind the tang. Wouldn't give up just yet.
Posted By: Jim Westberg Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 10:05 AM
I don't think reshaping the tang area will solve the problem because of the borders and the fact that there are 10 lines on the left side and 12 on the right.

I am reluctant to post a name here because the fellow posts here occasionally and is a ACGG member. Perhaps there is a viable explanation regarding the checkering outcome.

He did mention computer problems in my last email exchange with him prior to me sending this last message.

" Despite the mis-alignment of the pattern that came out on my trapdoor behind the tang, I can recognize nice quality checkering. Not sure what may have happened there but it is my personal rifle and I can live with it.....i'm just glad that it was not on a customer's gun. There!!!! I said what was on my mind."

In retrospect, I should have said 'I will have to live with it' instead of 'I can live with it'.

For now, I have decided to copy and past the URL of this thread
in an email to the fellow and see if he has any comments either in a reply email or in a posting.
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 02:16 PM
If he is not embarrassed, and willing to refund or help you, after sending him these posts he SHOULD be exposed!I can not believe a ACGG member would send something like this out in the first place.
Best,
Craig
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 02:28 PM
Jim sent me an email this morning about this post and yes it was me. I do apologize for the ugly that I created. It was my fault and mine alone. I tried to change the way I was doing the pattern mid-stream and it did not go well for me.

I've done work for at least one of you and as far as I know that person was satisfied with the work. However that doesn't help Jim so what ever he deems to be fair compensation just let me know and I will try to oblige.

Doug
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 04:00 PM
Kudos to you Mr .Mann,it takes alot and says alot about you to comment on this , but while being no expert mind you I really think this can be fixed ,it would take total removal of whats there and perhaps a little filing of the tang ,but not necessarily so ...hard to say without having it in hand .

I don't think all is lost by no means ,it sounds like you both are reasonable people and can come to an agreement...I've done some checkering and it takes total concentration on our part and mistakes can and will happen to the best of us ...and Doug ,I'm still a big fan !
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 04:48 PM
Jack Belk used to say, "Checkering is the last best way to (*M)uck up your stock".
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 09:25 PM
I agree, kudos to Mr Mann for speaking up, and hopefully the two parties can work it out.
Best,
Craig
Posted By: Carpetsahib Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/04/14 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Jack Belk used to say, "Checkering is the last best way to (*M)uck up your stock".
And I thought I was the only one to ever foul up a checkering job. Silly me! I have to confess I have scrubbed the checkering off of several stocks, and started all over. I've tried all sorts of things to try to redeem a job, including recessing the checkering. Has anyone seen a recessed point pattern? Well, I have done it.
Posted By: Rick W Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/14/14 02:43 AM
Jim: Can an oval be inletted just under the tang to cover the point and 'maybe' hide the off-centering of the boarders as well - at least for some portion? From the photo it's hard tell how far off center things are 3/4" - 1" down from the tang? You could even put your initials, crest etc. on it.
I think a lot of originals had errors and they were well hidden - like checkering on escussions on percussion keys.
Rick
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/14/14 02:53 PM
That thought occurred to me too- inletting an escutcheon into the wrist to hide the "Oops!"
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/15/14 02:53 AM
With all of that aside, Jim, could you tell us a little more about the double? Shotgun or rifle? Other info? It looks to be in beautiful condition.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/15/14 04:53 AM
Cut out the effected areas in the checkering pattern and level them. Then fill them with pieces of wood veneer glued in place. Matching as close as possible the color and grain.
All the veneer will be inside the new ch'xg pattern to be cut so any cover-up, faux-grain and coloring will be easy to accomplish.

Layout a new correct pattern to include the veneer inlays be right to the edges of the pattern so borders or edge lines will cover them easily. Cross cut inlays can be fitted at the cut of a line of checkering to hide them.
No changes in metal work are needed nor any to surrounding wood work. Just filling in what's there that you don't like,,recutting it in a proper shape that you do like,,and then blending in the new checkering to match in color, grain, streaking, ect.
Posted By: Cary Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/15/14 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Carpetsahib
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
And I thought I was the only one to ever foul up a checkering job. Silly me! I have to confess I have scrubbed the checkering off of several stocks, and started all over. I've tried all sorts of things to try to redeem a job, including recessing the checkering. Has anyone seen a recessed point pattern? Well, I have done it.

I think I sanded off more of my checkering than I ever let out the door. As far as recessing a multi point pattern, I used to recess about all my checkering. Gave me a solid wall to stop the tool before I over ran the pattern. Chewed up a bunch of edges, though. I was never very good at checkering and soon found out how cheaply Cathy works!
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/15/14 05:53 PM
Before you fellows offer more repair strategies you might reread Jim's initial post.
"There is no real ‘fix’ to the problem short of restocking the gun…" I would agree.

This was a custom project I'm quite sure Jim had a couple of hundred hours into and I would simply consider "ruint"… If you search his previous posts you might get an inkling of his investment in this particular rifle project.

If I were the checkerer I might be trying to buy that stock out of circulation…
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/15/14 10:39 PM
I would like to see a link to the discussion of the building of this gun. Exactly how much effort was expended before the checkering. A custom 1873 may be the wave of the future and it would be nice to see a positive result for "one of the first".
Posted By: JCHannum Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/16/14 12:24 AM
Here are two threads detailing the build of this rifle. An inordinate amount of time, money and craftsmanship was expended in its completion only to be spoiled by the buggered checkering job.

If a gunsmith were to spoil a customer's barrel by misdrilling for scope mounts or other errors, he would be expected to replace the barrel in kind, including refitting and chambering. In this case, refunding the cost of the checkering and a replacement stock blank of similar quality might be a good place to start.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...7476#Post247476

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...3605#Post273605
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/16/14 12:25 AM
Reading this I glad I stick to checkering tool handles and duck calls.
Posted By: Rick W Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/16/14 12:39 AM
Jim:
If the oval ecutcheon doesn't suit you - how about inletting a sight base for a peep sight? Take the peep on/off.
I think Carlos would be happier with something there rather than the visible error.
Posted By: Jim Westberg Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/18/14 09:59 AM

Mr. Mann has agreed to replace the wood, re-stock the rifle and do the checkering in a semi-flat top British style originally requested.

I do have a good deal of time in this project so this resolution is a bit of a gamble on my part. This issue aside, Doug seems to have a solid reputation for quality work so we will see what happens in terms of an outcome in a year or so.
The only ‘protection’ I have is an agreement that disputes concerning the outcome will be forwarded to the ethics committee of the ACGG. I think this is a viable solution and only make note of it as a possible guide for others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

More pleasant thoughts. I think an argument can be made that using the Mod 73 Springfield as the basis of a custom rifle marks the beginning of a long history followed a couple of decades later by the Krag, the ‘03, and the Mauser as they became surplus. The fun part of using the 73 is that few conventions apply and variation potential is seemingly unlimited.
Jim
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/18/14 12:47 PM
Egad! Methinks I would notice this when the first layout cuts are done, sand down, and redo at that point, not cut to full depth...
Posted By: jke Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/14 10:32 PM
I think a nice ebony fleur de lis tastefully carved and inleted just might save the day. That is if you can do it as if it was your intention to put it their from the start.
Posted By: Jim Westberg Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 09:17 AM
About a year ago I initally posted "Ooops" and thought that a followup would be appropriate now that an outcome has been achieved.
Doug agreed to restock the rifle and supply the wood subject to my approval. He located a piece of comparable wood and sent pictures which I OK'd.
I just recieved the completed rifle back from Doug and must say that he did a good job....good fit, shaping, inletting, checkering and finish.
Thanks Doug for stepping up to a mistake and making it right.
Jim Westberg
Posted By: LRF Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 12:16 PM
Really good to hear, are you going to have it at the show next Saturday?
Posted By: SKB Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 01:37 PM
How about some pictures?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 07:11 PM
Jim,

That rifle is as gorgeous as it is unusual. What is the lock from? Clearly it's not the Springfield lock.

Please post some more photos.
Posted By: Jim Westberg Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 08:53 PM
Lynn, I can bring it along if I don't go fishing.
The lock and hammer are shop made using an antique Brazier lock as a pattern.
Here are some pictures of the new work.
Jim

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 09:58 PM
Beautiful! Very sleek and very well executed.

I love the hand-detachable lock!

What caliber?
Posted By: craigd Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/22/15 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the pictures and follow up with the story. Very nice for everyone involved.
Posted By: LRF Re: Ooops!!!! - 03/23/15 03:00 AM
Jim,
Below the damns on the Mississippi? Anyway hope to see you and the rifle.
Very nice, very nice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com