doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Another August Pachmayr. - 02/03/12 09:41 PM
Taking a little time out from shoveling snow to do some photo work. I thought many here might like to see another August Pachmayr rifle.

The rifle is unmarked as to the maker or caliber.

I'll start off this time by saying it's a 30-06, surprise surprise.

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/03/12 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
I'll start off this time by saying it's a 30-06, surprise surprise.

The neophyte(s?) thank you... smile
A Noske Scope & Mount which looks to be original to the rifle. The scope is Crystal clear with a single vertical tapered post. Anyone know what year Noske introduced a scope with both windage and elevation?

Posted By: LRF Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/03/12 10:04 PM
I am going to assume it is a take down from the configuration of what appear to be aluminum or polished steel plates in from of the receiver. Correct me if wrong; however if not, would like to see photos of the gun taken down. And close-up details of the mechanism, barrel, latch, etc.

Please

Oh yes ...... nice rifle smile
Is this rifle horizontal or vertical in the picture that you see, keep editing it but it keeps turning out vertical on my screen.

1948-- My late father bought a M70 SG in .270 Win (thank you Jack O'Connor) with a Noske 4x scope with separate windage and elevation adjustments- later on he replaced it with a Weaver 6x, and after it came to me in 1981- I replaced the Weaver with a Leupold Vari-X- which it still wears- with Federal fusion 140 grainers- deadly on pronghorns to 450 yards (est'd).
Posted By: whitey Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/03/12 10:21 PM
Thanks Michael I wanted to see the take down set up also. Whitey
This takedown system differs from from others in several ways.

The connecting plate on the action side is moved out so that the barrel sits in the trough when you're screwing the barrel in. Screws in and out very easily. The plates also have an over travel notch build into them so it cannot be overtightened. The sliding alinement pin at the bottom is very tight.

When together it's very tight and without movement. On the downside you can see the spiral wear marks on the barrel.

I removed the forend wood yesterday and it was a little scarey because it was so tight I was afraid I was going to snap the head of the screw off. It does not appear it's ever been removed since it left Pachmayr.
The little pin on top at the front of the sight is spring-loaded, when you push it down you can then slide the site insert out.

break over, back to shoveling snow.

Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/03/12 11:53 PM
Hope you enjoyed your break as much as we did.
Posted By: waterman Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/04/12 12:43 AM
Michael,

When next you take a break from the snow shovel (do you have the extra-large kind?) would you please show both sides of the take-down plate? I would like to see how that offset piece on the right side fits in.

Thanks,

Richard
Posted By: LRF Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/04/12 01:20 AM
Thanks Michael

Curious, are the stock plates steel or aluminum?
I like the way they prevent over tightening.
Originally Posted By: waterman
Michael,
When next you take a break from the snow shovel (do you have the extra-large kind?) would you please show both sides of the take-down plate? I would like to see how that offset piece on the right side fits in.Thanks,Richard

Originally Posted By: LRF
Thanks Michael Curious, are the stock plates steel or aluminum? I like the way they prevent over tightening.

They are steel, I believe that they were originally Niter blued.
The next thing I would like to discuss about this rifle are the sling swivels. They appear to have been Niter blued and I don't believe I've seen these before or on anything else but a Pachmayr rifle.

Do they look familiar to anyone here?

Here is a another rifle in a little better condition that shows the blue on the take down plates.

Posted By: danross70 Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/04/12 03:44 AM
Classy rifle! Does the take-down feature detract from accuracy? If it does not, i am more than doubly impressed.
Originally Posted By: danross70
Classy rifle! Does the take-down feature detract from accuracy? If it does not, i am more than doubly impressed.

I couldn't say one way or the other on this rifle. I do have a Barney Worthen take-down that shoots just as well if you leave it together or take it apart and put it back together for each shot.
The rifle has a two-stage trigger with a very nice pull to it. On the underside of the action is a leaf spring that is held on with a screw and comes up behind the trigger sear. It holds upward pressure on the firing pin sear which keeps it in the same place each time.

If anyone has questions, just ask.

Posted By: galen Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 02/04/12 05:53 AM
Micheal, I believe Noske first offered his windage/elevation fieldscope in 1930.
Originally Posted By: galen
Micheal, I believe Noske first offered his windage/elevation fieldscope in 1930.

Thanks, welcome to the fourm.
A gathering of Pachmayrs.

Today I received August Pachmayr's shop book from May of 1913 to September 1922. Has the name of the customer what work was done and in some cases even the serial number of the gun.

I am in the process of scanning it which will take some time, have not even had time to read much of it.

Later when all this is cataloged and I have a better handle on things anyone who feels they have something by August Pachmayr please get in touch with me and I will try to find it.

PS: Mr. foral I saw at least one Lee Navy converted to 256 ;-).
Took Mr. Pachmayr to the range this morning. Seems like no matter how much stuff I drag to the range with me I always need something I don't have.

I bore sighted the scope and it looked good but was out of focus, when I got the eye piece back out where I could see the bolt would not close and even thought I had several screwdrivers none fit the rings.

So I loaded the rifle, adjusted the scope, fired a round then turned in the eye piece to load the next one. Not very good way to shoot ;-). The Noske scope has a tapered post.

Five at fifty yards.

Posted By: reb87 Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/07/23 12:34 AM
Are the records that Michael referred available? I’d like to see if my rifle is recorded
Posted By: mc Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/08/23 04:43 PM
Unfortunately Mr Petrov has left the building.
Posted By: reb87 Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/09/23 04:04 AM
Yes, I got to meet him a few years before he passed at the Vegas gun show. I thought perhaps someone here had access to the august pachmayr shop records
Posted By: eightbore Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/09/23 05:24 AM
jojo (or jodo) target arms on ebay liquidated part of Michael's estate. jojodo is or was his seller's ID. He may know what you are looking for.
Posted By: relics6165 Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/10/23 04:59 AM
reb87:

Contact Joe through one of these, I'm not sure where all of Michael's papers and research went, his estate was looking for a home for all of it, Joe would/might know:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=55957
Posted By: Bob Saathoff Re: Another August Pachmayr to look at. - 11/10/23 03:48 PM
Janet Petrov with the help of Joe Dobrynski gave Michaels's papers to the ASSRA and are in the archives. Contact Laurie Gapko at the ASSRA website. He is the archivist.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com