doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 01:06 PM
By board members in reasonably priced, say 250 to 300$, Martini cadet actions? I'm looking into buying a small lot of them.
Steve
Posted By: MichaelJ Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 02:20 PM
Steve,
Yes there would be and I bet I may even have some Students that would have an interest.

Michael J
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 02:59 PM
You betcha, depending of course on the condition. Rusty, pitted, worn out examples maybe not so much, but a good usable action would have me waving some Franklins at you!
Posted By: Craigster Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 04:01 PM
Yes. I'm working on one now and I'm thinkin about a second one.
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 05:05 PM
good to hear....thanks for the input.

Michael,
we just powered up the Haas not even an hour ago. Once we get it figured out we will invite you and the students up for a visit.
Steve
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 05:25 PM
Put me on the list also!

Craig
Posted By: whitey Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 05:35 PM
For the Martini guys and I am a fan also. Ask Joe to post a couple picturs of the ones he has built and maybe some he is working on. You will like them. IMO. Whitey
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 06:46 PM
Put me down for a couple, at least! I like 'em A LOT (grin). Here's a pic of 2 crude ones for inpiration.

Top is a Greener takedown project, bottom is a Francotte walking varminter.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 06:57 PM
What calibers Joe?
Are the buttstocks from the blank?
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 08:10 PM
Both from the blank, 3 more in-process from the blank right now but they're my personal projects so the completion dates are, shall we say, somwhat nebulous right now? (grin)

Chamberings are top in 224 Maxi & 357 Maximum, bottom in 219 Improved Zipper. Wood is Juglans Regia, bottom has a trapdoor buttplate with leather liner and leather pouch for the Unertl's screw-in lens caps.

The Cadet is so easy to stock from the blank that there's no excuse for not doing it that way, and besides that's the only way I can get what I (think) I want (at the time).(VBG!) I'm still developing my preferred Cadet stock styling, it's kinda an evolving area right now. Here's a VERY SPECIAL one I'll be finishing this year.

Wish they were all like this one!
Regards, Joe
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 08:15 PM
I'd certainly be interested in a couple of them. Have several projects in mind.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
Both from the blank,
The Cadet is so easy to stock from the blank that there's no excuse for not doing it that way,

Joe, I was thinking of the other guys, maybe they might like a machined stock, especially of your design? Besides, If you have 5(?!) in process, maybe it's time to start thinking about a pattern stock, eh? Sure saves on repeated motions.

I never particulary cared for Martini's of any size, as long as I 've still got Low Walls and High Walls... but do like your and I'll bet the other guys (looking for actions) do too!
Posted By: mc Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/24/11 10:00 PM
hello Steve call me when you get them Mark
Posted By: WJL Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 12:08 AM
I'll take one.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 01:25 AM
Well alright, I will see about getting them. More interest than I expected. Does anyone plan on bringing in any guns from the UK in the near future? If so I may be able to work out some discount pricing on the importation and shipping.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 09:41 AM
SKB I have 4 or 5 in the paperwork process of being imported right now. PM me if you want the details.
Posted By: RJM Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 01:06 PM
I would think there would be a real market for these. Why hasn't one of the established importers already done this? Perhaps production costs?
Regards, Ron
Posted By: PeteM Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 01:27 PM
Steve,

At that price I would be interested.

Pete
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 02:49 PM
I am an importer and am speaking with some folks in the UK currently. I am looking into ways to cut the shipping and other associated costs with a goal of keeping the actions as cheap as possible for the end user. We will see what I can put together. It seems like we have plenty of interest.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/25/11 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
[Joe, I was thinking of the other guys, maybe they might like a machined stock, especially of your design? Besides, If you have 5(?!) in process, maybe it's time to start thinking about a pattern stock, eh? Sure saves on repeated motions.

I never particulary cared for Martini's of any size, as long as I 've still got Low Walls and High Walls... but do like your and I'll bet the other guys (looking for actions) do too!

Actually only 3 in process right now, those photos were taken years ago. And also actually one of those 3 in-process stocks has morphed into an extra one since its once-planned action now has a new home. So I'll have a spare to use as a pattern for anyone interested.

Martinis of all sizes are indeed awkward-looking and awkward for sporting scope use as well, but at least the Cadets can be cleaned from the breech without much hassle. And they won't spit back at the shooter, ever. I agree that the walls are MUCH more visually attractive but also must add that some of Bob Snapp's Cadets are much better-looking than LOTS of walls I've seen (grin). AAMOF some of his Cadets are absolutely STUNNING not so much for their (of course professional-level) finish & engraving but rather for their styling & stocking details and flowing lines. Wish I had some pics of some of his work, perhaps someone else can help on the other thread?
Regards, Joe
Posted By: dznnf7 Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/26/11 05:02 AM
Les Brooks:

Posted By: MichaelJ Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/26/11 05:34 PM
First of all Thanks Steve for the offer and also thanks for the update on your machine we look forward to visiting when you are ready for us.
Here is what can be done with a Martini these are from this years guild show.
Bob Snap
Joe Seeley

Michael J
Posted By: tomc Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/26/11 09:44 PM
Steve
If you are looking to import something why not the whole rifle?
Some one is always looking for a Martini/
Tom
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/28/11 03:20 PM
Michael:

By any chance would you have a photo that includes the entire rib on the first of the two rifles? I'm putting ideas together for a Cadet in either .30-30 or 7x30 Waters and want to scope it.

Thanks.

Rem
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 02/28/11 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Michael:
By any chance would you have a photo that includes the entire rib on the first of the two rifles? I'm putting ideas together for a Cadet in either .30-30 or 7x30 Waters and want to scope it.
Thanks.
Rem

Rem, I'm not Michael but here's one anyway (grin), still in process.

Please notice 2 things about the rib on this one: firstly it's extremely simple and so is not necessarily suitable for an ornate or heavily embellished rifle such as Bob's, and secondly it's less than half as tall & heavy-looking as Bob's. IMO the rib on the top rifle would look even better if it was half as tall.

BTW the rings shown in my photo are Medium height and the cartridge uses the 357 Maximum case. For the 30-30 size case with the same low rib I use High rings with no trouble, plenty of room underneath for case clearance.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: whitey Re: Would there be any interest ? - 03/01/11 12:25 AM
Joe very nice.I am gald you had that idea.And have some new ideas and will make some more one day. whitey
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 12:17 PM
I should have a half dozen or so in next week, all in .22lr. A couple with barrels the remainder just actions.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 01:13 PM
Great! I'm always looking for another one!
Regards, Joe
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 01:25 PM
Do you know exactly which actions/manufacturers they are?
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 02:08 PM
this batch is all BSA mkII's.
Posted By: 1878 Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 05:59 PM
Now I am confused: BSA International Mk.II's ? That is a different action from the Cadet or 12, 12/15 type.
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 06:05 PM
not internationals.....mark IIs
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 08:41 PM
So these are the large Martinis with the long lever? I'm kinda confused too, now.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/05/11 09:37 PM

similar to these....
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 05:29 AM
Steve,
I am interested too.

JErry

gam@gmaengineering.com
Posted By: Bob Saathoff Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 01:15 PM
BSA MK II's are different than the one shown. The one in the picture looks like a 12/15. Here's a great website for Martini's.
The page posted is on the Mark II's.
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA-International_MksI_and_II.html
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
So these are the large Martinis with the long lever? I'm kinda confused too, now.
Regards, Joe

Hello JD,

The long lever Martini-Henry rifles were, (as far as I am aware) restricted to the British Military Service Rifle and were made to help with extraction of the spent cartridge case after firing in tropical conditions. All of these rifles would have originally been chambered for the .577/450" Service cartridge. Some of these may have been converted to early .303" Black Powder cartridges when that round was adopted for regular use in the British Military some years later.

With Martini's you have to be careful to differentiate betweem the British Service Rifle Marks and those of the civilian target rifles, which were always smaller sized actions than the Service Rifle.

Harry
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 02:22 PM
I was told they were mkII's, look to be 12/15's from the one pic I have. I'll find out when I open the crate.
Posted By: WJL Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 02:45 PM
If there are enough I'd like one.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Craig Libhart Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 03:47 PM
Steve:
If you've got any left I'll take one also.

Craig
Posted By: 1878 Re: Would there be any interest ? - 10/06/11 04:55 PM
Well I will go the other way. If they turn out to be Internationals I might be interested in trading you a very nice 12/15 action for one. The Internationals make a better rimfire target rifle. I don't know if they are any good for centerfire cartridges, I think I once read of one being made into a Hornet.
Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 11/02/11 10:32 PM
well here they are.....MKII's? not cadets at 1.180" thick. The 2 with barrels have very nice bores.

Posted By: SKB Re: Would there be any interest ? - 11/03/11 12:18 AM
12/15's.....target weight club guns.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Would there be any interest ? - 11/03/11 01:40 PM
So, how much are you asking?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com