doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Remington40x Hammer Spur Repair - 05/26/18 04:33 PM
I have a Bernardelli Italia Extra with very ornate pierced hammers. The tip of one broke today while shooting it. The missing piece is about 1/8 inch long and was pierced and engraved.

Who would you recommend to repair the hammer? Ideally I would like to weld up the existing hammer and have it re-engraved to match the other.

Thanks.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 05/27/18 04:42 PM
Hi Rem'40x,
I can't recommend a repair man..
But I would love to see a pic or two of your Bernardelli Italia Extra....that was their top model Hammergun, Right?
Brescia, Italia, & Italia Extra...I had a Brescia that was my first Hammer Gun & loved it as a shooter...I would love to see the Italia Extra....thanks if you can throw a couple up
Cheers
Franc
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 05/27/18 04:50 PM
I had the following guy repair my Alex Henry double rifle. Did a great job on the hammer.

Claudio Opacak. Lives in Canada. His old email was

copacak@arraymarketing.com

Did a magnificent job, if I remember correctly it was $400 to include recase hardening.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 05/28/18 11:59 AM
Buck Hamlin in Missouri did one for me, welded the tip back on, recut the checkering, annealed and recased. reasonable.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 05/28/18 10:44 PM
Jim Westberg, here on this forum, may be able to help you. He fixed a cracked hammer on me William Evans.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 05/30/18 07:16 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I spoke to Mr. Hamlin today and he's agreed to take on the work. I'll report back how I make out when it's finished.

Franc: Before I mail the gun to Mr. Hamlin, I'll take a couple of photos.

Rem
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 07/02/18 05:54 PM
Rem40,
did you get it sorted?.....any glam' pics?
cheers
franc
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 07/02/18 06:52 PM
Franc:

Mr. Hamlin said the hammer casting had too many voids to weld. It's back to me, but I haven't decided what next to do.

Will try to get some photos on Wednesday, though.

Rem
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hammer Spur Repair - 07/02/18 09:53 PM
Rem,

Is there no chance of buying a replacement from Bernadelli? or.........two matching hammers, L and R?

Here is a link to their website showing telephone number and email address.

http://www.bernardelli.com/en/index.html

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com