doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/10/08 04:14 AM
Was given one of these by a couple friends who had decided to hang up their primers and buy ready mades. No instruction book and it hadn't been used for a few years so things were a little seized and
stiff and the learning curve was a little steep ( ie. a few hundred pellets and a few charges of powder hit the deck ), but I think we have it figured out and functioning. Any comments or things I should be aware of?? Thanks
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/10/08 12:05 PM
First thing you might do is call their 800 number and ask them to send you a manual and catalog of accessories. Maybe the manual can be printed off the website, I don't know. One great accessory is the thingy that allows you to change bushings without taking the whole top off the loader, if that accessory is not already on your loader. Most 800B loaders were not equipped with this when first manufactured. A lot of stiffness can be eliminated by keeping the charging assembly clean, dry, and free of powder residue. Keeping the posts oiled helps also.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/10/08 12:29 PM
There's a lot of subtleties to the proper function of a PW press. More than we can go over here. If you think it's seen a lot of use, you may want to consider having them rebuild it. I have 2 PW presses and had problems with one I chased for over a yr. It was a press a group of us bought 20 yrs ago. It had been used by a friend who was heavyhanded and some things in the indexing system needed changing. Also, get a few of the plastic wad guide fingers to keep around and change it now. This little plastic part can look o.k. but give you headaches. Personally, I'd pull the top off the press and take the indexing plate off and clean it, and the gears, lube and reassemble.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/10/08 01:40 PM
Hi Terry,
I just fell into love with PWs recently. Jim Cunningham knows more about them than PW, I think. He has a booklet of tests and adjustments that goes far beyond the factory booklet. I paid PW $10 for a factory manual reprint that was so dark the pictures were very hard to see. Jim has been very helpful to me. http://www.jimsearneye.com/PWREPAIR.html
Contact him.
PS, you can also get reprints of the original manual that have clear, bright pictures. He also has new and used parts.
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/10/08 05:02 PM
All I can add, is that after years of useing MECs (which I can't knock)I bought a P-W. They are the way to go! Only thing that slows me down is having to get more wads,etc.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/11/08 04:42 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/11/08 04:51 PM
Terry,
One thing I recently did was order all the reasonably possible shot bushings and a powder "adapter" bushing from Ballistic Products Inc. that allows you use MEC powder bushings. You'll not find the powder or shot bushings common in most stores and will likely have to order the bushings each time you need them. I'm hoping this will help my loading be more flexible timewise.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/11/08 05:36 PM
I made a MEC adapter bushing from a Hornady powder bushing that I had on hand. I have lots of MEC bushings to choose from.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/11/08 05:53 PM
I guess we wouldn't be reloading at all if we weren't concerned with price. How much does it really cost to send a PW loader up to Idaho and get them to fix it up? One of my 800B .410 loaders needs a major part and reassembly but I can probably buy a low mileage used machine for $300, so I don't want to pay that much to have my old one fixed. Anyone send one up there recently?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/12/08 03:20 PM
Bill,
You'd make out well for a good machine at $300. They're over $700 now.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/12/08 05:46 PM
I have a set of 12 gauge aluminum bushings from an older Pacific single stage 12 ga. loader, I can give you specifics as to powder drop (Red Dot) and believe the shot is for 1 and 1/8 oz. can also "mike them" to see if they'd fit your Posness-Warren "stepchild" loader. I gave up handloading shotgun shells about 6 years ago- sold the loader to a gun club pal who shoots SC big time- I used to get about 8-9 reloads per AA hull before they'd split at the crimp area-RWTF
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/12/08 05:55 PM
Runs WTF,
It sounds like you should get rid of that old HE.
Those tight chambers could be dangerous. I would be happy to take the gun off your hands.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/12/08 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Chuck, but since I own six of them, I'm pretty much up on selling prices. Can you help me with the question I asked?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/12/08 09:26 PM
Thanks for the kind thought-I am impressed with the only Fox I own-and most likely ever will-my Grandfather had two graded 12 bore Parkers and his hunting partner owned a DE 12 bore Phila. Fox-I thought it was a much more handsome gun than the Parkers- straight grip- two triggers and that Fox was so well fitted- it would not close on some Remington paper hulls-but the Remingtons would work just fine in the Parker-my Grandfather was a tool maker- so he "miked" the head dias. of the Remington hulls- and compared them to some Federal and Winchester paper shells- the Remingtons from that particular box were 0.0025" larger in dia. than ther others now that is "gun-fitting". I bought mine about 15 years ago for $650.00 (dealer was asking $800.00) mfg. 1927-( I got a letter from Roe Clark)I believe from reading Mike's book on the Fox that it has the Becker Barrels- they are stamped Not Guaranteed- which has to do with patterns-I've shot Bismuth, Steel, lead and even Hevi-Shot hulls- 2&3/4" and 3" in it-and I like the tight patterns-I like to see birds "fold up and swap ends" in the air when well centered-just like I like to see a Montana mulie drop stone dead from a boiler room shot from a M70 30-06 with an 180 grain Core-Lokt- like my hero (Nash B.) I am a 12 ga. gunner-- I can handle its weight and great balance-I installed a Pachmayr solid red pad with one spacer-I like a 14 and 13/16" LOP on a field double- but for waterfowl I go a bit shorter in LOP- as I am wearing heavier clothing normally-Thanks for your interest- I have a pal with an Utica Sterlingworth 30" 3" mag 12 bore- DT and AE- most likely NOT a Becker bored Fox-he might be interested in hearing your offer-advise and I'll see what I can do for you in getting a "Big 'Un"- RWTF
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 12:39 AM
RWTF,
So we don't hijack the thread anymore you can shoot me an email at jrlee@srv.net
Or your friend can esil me.
Thanks
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 01:07 AM
Birdawg, I went to my favorite dogeared Webster's Ninth Collegiate and looked up "hijack thread" and guess whose picture I saw. Quite a distinguished looking character he is.
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 02:14 AM
Thanks Bill, I needed that
Jess
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 03:18 AM
I would go along with the suggestion to get a manual. Always helpful to have one. I always use WD-40 when I clean mine instead of a thicker oil. WD-40 is n't much of a lubricant but it is a great cleaner. And it has enough lubricant to work well. Good luck with your new machine.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 04:38 AM
Thanks again for the info, I have a lifetime collection of Pacific/Hornady bushings so I'm in good shape there.This machine
does not have the easy change adapter for changing bushings however I likely will only use it for my favourite 1 oz. sporting clays load anyway.It does require a certain amount of concentration not to screw up the cycle of hull/crank/wad/crank etc. while watching that the primers are feeding properly. Have to leave the Newcastle
Brown until after the loading session...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 12:58 PM
Bill,
I dunno where you live, but from somewhere around your neck of the woods to PW would be $60-70
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 01:00 PM
Terry,
There's a new primer slide that workes much better than my old one with a wire clip. Worth the bucks IMO.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 01:55 PM
I was wondering how much PW would charge for the redo. By the way, Jess, it wasn't your picture.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 04:20 PM
Boy am I "out of the loop" on this Hi-Jacking!- I have a Webster's Dictionary- 2nd College Ed. and on page 663 it has hi-jack (to steal or swindle or to force a pilot to a non-scheduled etc-etc. ) but No ils.- Que Pasa Aqui Amigo?? Diga me por favor!!
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/13/08 05:18 PM

Anyone have any input about how much difference is there between the 800B and the newest model? Is there enough real world functional change to warrant buying new?

BTW
Bill,didn't expect so when you said he was distinguished.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slightly OT, PW 800B Loader?? - 07/14/08 02:02 PM
I load all four gauges on the old 800B because I like the full length sizer die. The short sizer dies on later "improved" models that allow a taper crimp are not an improvement in my opinion. Consequently, I choose not to invest in the later loader models and am still loading on my seventies vintage 800Bs. Once in a while, I buy an accessory that is truly an improvement, like the quick change bushing feature, and the counters, but no need to buy a new loader. I am not familiar with the new primer feed, but will look it up on the website or get Jim Cunningham to show it to me next time I see him, probably next month.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com