doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: quickdraw Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 08:06 PM
I've recently bought a gun, and the stock is short. I was wondering what experience you've had with slip-on leather pads. I'm looking for something to add hopefully as much as 3/4" of an inch. Are any sold that add more?

I know Galazan's sells some.
https://secure.netsolhost.com/connecticu...?idProduct=1206

This gun may eventually get a nice permanent pad, but I'm looking for something now that works and isn't too expensive.

Thanks,
QD
Posted By: eeb Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 08:15 PM
The leather slip-ons are nice for adding a little bit of length. If you want to add more length, get a large pad and place a couple pieces of thick leather or something similar to get the desired length. The Pachmyer slip-on I have adds about 3/4".
Posted By: kray Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 08:41 PM
I have used the Galco pads to add up to an 1". I use cardboard spacers to get the extra length. The nice thing is that you can also use toe or heel only spacers to get the "pitch" just the way you want it.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 08:52 PM
I seem to recall a slipon that came with a set of spacers. It escapes me now.
Posted By: bamboozler Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 08:58 PM
I've have 3 Galco's and one Galazan Gamekeeper slip-on leather pads. Both I feel are the nicest looking on the market as the flap on both brands cover all of the black hook & loop material when installed--others I have seen do not, both brands add 5/8" to LOP without any additional spacers. The Galco pad leather is more pliable than Galazan's Gamekeeper, the Galco pad runs about $20 more per pad, but I prefer them because I like the feel of the leather better.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/17/07 10:02 PM
QD, I got some of these. They are not leather but may be adequate before you install a permanent pad:
GelPads

JC
Posted By: BigSkyTaku Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/19/07 04:18 AM
Leather pads work fine, but I never liked the weight they added. I found a neoprene sleeve that came with various size foam inserts from Beartooth, sold as a recoil pad. Don't recall the exact price, but was cheaper than leather, and lighter. Worked till I got the LOP figured out and a permanent pad installed that I could then balance the gun with.
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/19/07 02:18 PM
Second the Beartooth suggestion.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/19/07 09:39 PM
Brownell sells the original Brauer Brothers lace on leather pad that has been made for probably eighty years and looks just like the eighty year old model. They sell for about twelve bucks. Yes, $12.00. They come in three sizes. The leather is not of the thickness or quality of the eighty dollar pads but they don't snag brush and get lost the way the velcro attached pads do. Some bear in Maine had one of my Galco pads for lunch. No more Galco pads for me.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/20/07 02:22 AM
These are the ones I mentioned:

JC
Posted By: builder Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/21/07 10:40 PM
JayCee,
Tha pad you are referring to is almost identical to the Beartooth pad. They are very light and absorb a lot of recoil and are very easy to adjust the LOP using the foam pieces they include. They have little effect on gun balance. They do not look as good as a leather pad though and a lot of guys won't be happy with the look. They function very well and are great to have in your bag when you go out shooting. You never know when your friend might need one.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Slip-on Leather Pads - 12/21/07 10:51 PM
I think about a half dozen of my Brauer Brothers pads might weigh about the same as a stick of butter. There isn't much to them. The same half dozen costs about what a Galco pad does.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com