doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jas very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 06:08 AM
Does any one have a lead on a very thin recoil pad that my daughter or wife can use to shoot a double? Most recoil pads are over 3/4" and lengthen the stock too much.
John
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 06:27 AM
My Classic Doubles 201 sxs and Heym bolt gun were factory fitted with 'Old English' Pachmayr pads which seemed quite thin (about 1/4").
Posted By: jas Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 06:41 AM
I tried a place in Portland and his comment was pads were for sisie's, he then handed me a even large pad. I'd like to get them out, as I know they would enjoy sporting clays. Both are good rifle shots.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 06:42 AM
The thinnest Pachmayr "Old English Pad " is .600" including the base. It appears thinner because of the rounded contours. A nice pad. Decelerator model is softer and worth the extra price.
Posted By: jas Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 06:43 AM
Since it is an older gun, I'd rather not remove the butt plate but put on a temporary "cover" pad.
Posted By: tw Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 12:25 PM
Ruger #1's use a thin pad, might look at using them as a possible solution. Most gunsmiths will have a scap box with assorted take-off pads. Some slip-on pads can leave their presence behind on the stock's finish.
Posted By: Sharpsrifle Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 01:48 PM
John,
Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Is recoil the problem, or is length the problem, or are both a problem? All slip-on pads fitted over an existing butt plate are going to add at least a little length to the stock. Naturally the thinner the slip-on pad, the less it will absorb and reduce felt recoil. Even if you do find an ultra thin pad to install IN PLACE OF the butt plate you still can't get a shorter L.O.P. and a reduction in recoil at the same time. You'll still have to modify the stock on a gun you wish to keep as is. If your ladies need both recoil reduction and a shorter stock, but you don't want to alter your "older" gun, then perhaps it would be best to use a different gun in the first place. IMHO, it may be a real problem trying to "have your cake and eat it too". Just a thought.
Posted By: dogdigger Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 02:19 PM
Sharpsrifle is right. Go to Brownells.com and look about.
Posted By: tw Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 02:20 PM
Another thought might be to have them wear one of the shooting shirts that has the recoil absorbing material in the shoulder pocket area or to get one of the strap on PAST type recoil attenuation devises that can be worn externally. Some of the modern recoil absorbtion material is quite thin.
Posted By: builder Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 04:24 PM
I am not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for but the removal of the existing pad and placing a slip on beartooth pad should not change the LOP and add some recoil absorption. This pad is made of a soft stretchy material and you can add inserts to lengthen the pull if you like. It absorbs more recoil than the typical leather slip on.
Posted By: jas Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 08:42 PM
Sounds like I should buy both of them women's recoil shirts. On an old S/S I do not like to cut the stock or replace the Butt pad. So it is either cut the gun or buy some padded clothing. Thanks.
Posted By: NiklasP Re: very thin recoil pad - 11/24/07 09:13 PM
Get a PAST Ambidexterous Recoil Sheild. They are about 3/8 inch thick and rather flexible. Much better than any thin slip-on pad or any of pads sewn into clothes. We use Past Ambidexterous Recoil Sheilds consistantly because we both have bum shoulders, thanks to injuries and operations.

Depending on situation, we sometimes place them under our shirts, sometimes over.

Niklas
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com