doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geno What is French Triplex? - 11/01/07 02:13 PM
TRIPLEX St.Etienne. Company or model by...?
Posted By: darnation Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/02/07 02:11 AM
Triplex look like more a model, maybe with a three locking system. It probably have been used by many makers as "simplex"
Posted By: darnation Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/02/07 02:12 AM
Any pistures, how does the gun look like ? other marking ?
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/02/07 11:29 PM
The word "Triplex", may not indicate a specific maker,rather that the barrels were subitted for treble proof at 18,490 p.s.i. If this is the case you will find three identical proof marks, in line, followed by, St;Etienne.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/03/07 12:29 AM
I think the "Triplex" is a triple bite lock up action that was marketed to artisan makers all across France....all it means is that the lock-up (fermenture) is is of a certain design (Triplex)...there is also a triple verrou Greener...and a triple verrou Purdey...and quad lock-up "Grip Helico" that was patented and designed by Verney Carron c1910...and the "Helice" lock-up...Triplex is just the lock-up design and does not indicate the finisher or finishing house...I can't remember who designed the Triplex, but if I run across it in my catalogs, I will post the info...
Posted By: darnation Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/03/07 02:34 PM
and if the word "triplex" is engraver on the top lever,there is a lot of chance than it is the looking system.
Where is it engraved ?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/03/07 04:50 PM
W & C Scott made a gun with a third bite marked "Triplex Lever Grip".
Posted By: Geno Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/05/07 10:33 PM
The problem there is one sign only Triplex St.Etienne on trigger guard as I understand, I didn't see photos and it made me think it was company name.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/06/07 09:14 PM
Geno, if you can read French this will help. My translator didn't work on it. The picture with this showed a boxlock double.

Lot 24 : Divers >> Armes de chasse (5ème catégorie)
Fusil de chasse à canons juxtaposés de 70 cm TRIPLEX St Etienne, cal. 16, n° 20588, piqûre intérieur canon. Arme de 5ème catégorie, non soumise à déclaration.
Lieu de vente : Chartres - Date : 7 juin 2007
Mise à prix : 100 €
Posted By: PeteM Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/07/07 03:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Geno, if you can read French this will help. My translator didn't work on it. The picture with this showed a boxlock double.

Lot 24 : Divers >> Armes de chasse (5ème catégorie)
Fusil de chasse à canons juxtaposés de 70 cm TRIPLEX St Etienne, cal. 16, n° 20588, piqûre intérieur canon. Arme de 5ème catégorie, non soumise à déclaration.
Lieu de vente : Chartres - Date : 7 juin 2007
Mise à prix : 100 €

I could be wrong, believe it translates as;

Lot #24:
Hunting guns>>
Shotgun with juxtaposed (sxs) barrels, 70cm [could be a mistake for 70mm or they mean 27 1/2" barrels]
TRIPLEX St Etienne, 16ga, serial number 20588. Some pitting in the barrels. A category 5 gun not subject to declaration.
Place of sale: Chartres
Date: June 7, 2007
Price is 100€

Pete
Posted By: darnation Re: What is French Triplex? - 11/07/07 05:33 AM
that 's mean you do not have a prototype, there is at least another guy with a triplex. I will not be surprise than it was a common name to use to make and sell a french gun with three looking system . 2 on the lugs and one on the rib will do it. Many artisan-gun may qualified.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com