doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Little Creek shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/24/24 11:38 PM
What can you tell me about shooting after surgery for cataracts. How long should one wait before shooting a shotgun?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/24/24 11:43 PM
Ask your eye surgeon. A y definitive answer here might lead you down a dark path.
Originally Posted by Little Creek
What can you tell me about shooting after surgery for cataracts. How long should one wait before shooting a shotgun?

Ask your doctor. Mine told me a couple of days. I waited a couple of weeks. A friend was told to to wait 2 months. Ask your doc, not the internet..
Good advice...just what I planned to do. However, it's nice to hear other's experience. Thanks.
Some people see better in a few hours. I could not see for 2 days. I don't believe all cataract surgeries are done the same way.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/25/24 01:01 AM
My doc looked at me funny when I said 25 yds after he asked what distance I wanted to see perfectly. I’m sure you guys had similar answers. Yes I waited 2 weeks as advised but ask your doc.
Originally Posted by Jtplumb
My doc looked at me funny when I said 25 yds after he asked what distance I wanted to see perfectly. I’m sure you guys had similar answers. Yes I waited 2 weeks as advised but ask your doc.

I told my doc 37 inches. But he talked me out of it, thankfully. smile
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/25/24 10:13 AM
I have had cataracts for several years now. But thankfully they haven't gotten large enough to need surgery to remove them. I don't think they are affecting my eyesight, although I do use glasses. I have a check up about once a year and they continue to say that everything is all right.
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I have had cataracts for several years now. But thankfully they haven't gotten large enough to need surgery to remove them. I don't think they are affecting my eyesight, although I do use glasses. I have a check up about once a year and they continue to say that everything is all right.

mine would not have been a problem but they formed in the dead center of my vision and affected my abilities to see targets through aperture sights. Sort of like death to competitive rifle shooting. I doubt most people would have even noticed them, and they had little or effect on shotgunning that I could tell. At least not in my right eye.
after I got my 1st eye corrected for cataracts-I was amazed what vision I had lost when going from the corrected eye to the un-corrected eye. After the 2nd eye was done I think I waited two weeks before shooting--and vision/clarity was great. BTW/I went with the standard lenses rather than the 'premium' lenses and have no regrets.
Posted By: FelixD Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/25/24 01:06 PM
I was instructed to wait 30 days before I returned to shooting. My performance has improved as did my enjoyment. What an amazing improvement to my quality of life.
My doctor said one week for lawn tractors over rough ground and shooting. I think I'll wait maybe two weeks for shotgun shooting and maybe six months for lawn mowing. I've heard that some doctors recommend way more time before shooting. My vision is now 20-20 which surprised me no end. Unfortunately, because of my neuropathy, I have trouble standing and balancing, so my shooting may not improve to the 20-20 level. At age 78, my expectations are not high. I am now in the final stages of eye drops.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/26/24 02:08 AM
I do need new shooting glasses. I got my Decot prescription glasses about 20+ years ago and I am still using the same glasses even though my prescription has changed over the years. Something else I'll have to get that done one of these days.
It depends how serious you are about hitting the targets. Over the years, I have bought new prescription shooting lenses every time I bought new prescription street glasses. Hitting birds and targets has always been as important as seeing everyday stuff. Well, more important.
Posted By: GLS Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/26/24 10:28 AM
https://www.afb.org/aw/16/6/15448 (American Foundation for the Blind) The HelpMeSee foundation trains doctors all over the developing world in a method of cataract surgery that doesn't involve sutures with healing accomplished in one to two days. According to the RAND Corporation, the leading cause of blindness in China is botched cataract surgery. Their costs for outlay of all surgical equipment, including a microscope with X, Y controls to remove and replace the defective eye lens, is $20,000 which is not a grant, but a microloan. The procedure takes 5 minutes at a cost of $50 for the lens kit and cost to patient. The trained surgeons can perform as many as 100 procedures a day with outcomes close to USA outcomes.

Gil
The real issue for me is not at the range. It is night vision while driving. Gone down...
Posted By: Nitrah Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/27/24 12:59 PM
so I have a cataract in right eye in center of pupil, so my doctor suggested lasik to remove cataract and fix vision. Is that what you are discussing ?
Posted By: GLS Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/27/24 01:23 PM
Yes. Mom (95) had cataract surgery a few years ago. She said that relatives who had it decades ago were required to sleep with head between sandbags for six weeks to minimize head movement after surgery. Gil
Originally Posted by Nitrah
so I have a cataract in right eye in center of pupil, so my doctor suggested lasik to remove cataract and fix vision. Is that what you are discussing ?

NO.

Lens replacement is the generally accepted means of coping with cataracts.
Posted By: GLS Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery - 03/27/24 04:13 PM
What the surgeon probably said was "laser" and not "lasik" surgery. I didn't catch the lasik part. A laser can be used in cataract removal and lens replacement. Gil
Yes, use of laser in cataract surgery is normally not covered by insurance. The profession is very proud of their laser use in cataract surgery. They will accept cash.
Laser and cataract surgery at the end of December.
Released by the Doc and first tourney early February.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com