doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 Remington leaving Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/04/23 06:26 PM
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...lant-a-year-after-sandy-hook-settlement/
Posted By: skeettx Re: Remington leaving Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/04/23 07:47 PM
Congratulations to Georgia !!
Those Ilion union employees will keep voting Democrat. Let's see how that works out for them.
JR
Posted By: eeb Re: Remington leaving Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 12:27 AM
Interesting that the United Mine Workers represent the rank and file.
If the union believes so strongly in justice and American way and will do anything they can to prevent the move I recommend they refund to Remington all the millions they had to pay for the frivolous lawsuit against them.
We welcome Remington. I am cautiously optimistic about Remington. Some of the latest reports, on quality, of their rifles are good. My oldest grandson just got married and his FIL gave him a new Rem. 700 in .300 WinMag. It shoots much better than I would have expected, and with factory ammo! I will be getting a set of dies, and other accoutrements, to reload for him in the future. The price of factory loaded .300 WinMag ammo is ridiculous.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Remington leaving Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Those Ilion union employees will keep voting Democrat. Let's see how that works out for them.
JR

I think you’d be very surprised at how the people in that part of NY vote…..I’d venture to say between 60 to 70% vote the conservative ticket. The only liberal goofs I met in NY during my trip upstate was in Ithaca. Cornell is probably the reason for that. I really like upstate NYers…..very friendly, down to earth, nice hard working folks.

Must suck to be so outnumbered like when you live in a state and 1 or 2 cities run the entire state. I’ve always thought that a sort of electoral college at the state level wouldve been a good idea….where let’s say 99 counties out of 100 can have a real say in the outcome of an election …..not just the 1 or 2 counties that contain the big cities running the whole shabangabang.
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by John Roberts
JR

I think you’d be very surprised at how the people in that part of NY vote…..I’d venture to say between 60 to 70% vote the conservative ticket. The only liberal goofs I met in NY during my trip upstate was in Ithaca. Cornell is probably the reason for that. I really like upstate NYers…..very friendly, down to earth, nice hard working folks.

Must suck to be so outnumbered like when you live in a state and 1 or 2 cities run the entire state. I’ve always thought that a sort of electoral college at the state level wouldve been a good idea….where let’s say 99 counties out of 100 can have a real say in the outcome of an election …..not just the 1 or 2 counties that contain the big cities running the whole shabangabang.

It’s the urban/rural divide and it’s everywhere. In Canada, British Columbia is dominated by the leftists based in Vancouver. The whole rest of the province suffers for Vancouver’s choices.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Remington leaving Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 03:58 AM
Dustin, Florida used to be like that in the 1950's - the panhandle counties with 3,000 voters trumped Miami Dade with 400,000. I grew up in segregated Florida and in the 1950's the panhandle counties were called the "Pork Chop Gang."

The Supreme Court limited this however in 1964 Reynolds v. Sims. This landmark ruling established the principle of "one person, one vote" and required that state legislative districts be roughly equal in population. The decision aimed to ensure fair representation and address the issue of rural vote dilution.

I happen to agree with you because rural districts in Oregon, Colorado, New York, Illinois are oppressed. But it will take SCOTUS looking at the question again. And let's not go into politics. Prefer to deal with concrete history and engineering.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 04:06 AM
I have a feeling the Sandy Hook lawsuit might have been the tipping point:

Like Connecticut, New York has adopted a consumer protection measure that could be used against gunmakers; a similar bill has been introduced in California, and elected officials in other states, including New Jersey, are also considering introducing proposals that could offer a template to families of victims in mass shootings.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 11:11 AM
I just got a hint that the Remington ammunition plant in Lonoke, Arkansas must be running at near capacity. Just received an order of 15 boxes of 16ga Remington Game Loads. Since we 16ga shooters are the bastard stepchildren of the shotgun world, when 16ga loads start showing up, it must mean that more in demand ammo is also rolling off the production lines.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 11:31 AM
72% of the population of NY lives in 9% of the land area.

NYC, Westchester, Long Island
Albany
Syracuse
Buffalo

Everywhere else is red. We are literally captives.

Fun fact, the Remington factory in Ilion is/was the 2nd oldest continuously operating business in American history. They have been making Remington firearms in that SAME brick building...since 1818. 206 years.

- Nick
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 12:48 PM
I have always said, last one out of NY, turn out the lights.
Posted By: mc Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 02:00 PM
California has the same problem four cities run the state.san diego Las Angeles San Francisco sacramento
There are plenty of reasons for their move but the fact that New York ranks dead last in overall freedom didn’t help.

This and whole lot more is here:

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
It's a shame for the employees. Many are from families that worked for Remington for generations.

You can bet though, that the union leader will have a nice Christmas.
Posted By: eeb Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/05/23 06:31 PM
There’s plenty of blame to go around regarding this fiasco, but don’t leave out the catalyst for the downfall of Remington. Cerberus “vulture” capital bought the company in 2007 and saddled it with hundreds of millions in debt while taking out healthy fees to compensate a multitude of bankers, lawyers and accountants. No lasting economic value was created except for the banksters who eventually walked away as the company slid into bankruptcy. Sad tale that is well documented for anyone interested
If they were looking for a safe litigation venue, they chose poorly:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/georgia-jury-awards-17-billion-ford-truck-crash-case-ap-2022-08-21/

https://www.judicialhellholes.org/hellhole/2022-2023/georgia/

Ironically, much of the rural conservative legislative body are also Plaintiff's lawyers so good luck with tort reform. This is one of the reasons I stopped taking defense work. Rates suck too.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/06/23 11:12 AM
Delete. Double post.
I wonder if they'll have any brain drain for Glock. I cant think of any other big gun makers near atlanta.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Remington leaveing Ilion NY for Georgia - 12/06/23 05:55 PM
We will ship some more migrants from Texas to New York to fill the void. Bus filling up now.

John
Arrieta
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com