doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 03:47 AM
I picked this up at the Vintagers and by all appearances it is a wildfowler. It is stamped B C Grade. Boxlock with sideclips and crossbolt 3rd fastener. He was a maker in St Mary's I have looked through my English gun books but don't find much.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 03:50 PM
Had a nice one. Maybe it is yours, Marked BC Grade. I assumed it was a pigeon gun, but may have been a waterfowler.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Fudd Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 04:07 PM
I love the font they chose for the gold inlay on the lever. It pops.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fudd
I love the font they chose for the gold inlay on the lever. It pops.
It really does. That's a beautiful gun. Thanks for showing it, Daryl.
Posted By: eeb Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 06:26 PM
I looked at that one long and hard at the Vintagers. That’s a great gun.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 09:24 PM
Only drawback is top lever spring is so damn strong it is hard to compress. I am going to see about having it retempered.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Nitrah
Only drawback is top lever spring is so damn strong it is hard to compress. I am going to see about having it retempered.

That’s not how you “soften” up the tension on a spring. The proper way to do it (especially for a spring that’s already been fit up to the spindle) is by very meticulously striking down the leg of the spring that is too thick.

I think you should leave it as is. Don’t mess with a spring that works….the stiff tension of that spring is actually doing a few things that are actually good for a fowling gun, like keeping good pressure on the locking surfaces.

Nice gun btw. I think “Harrison sporting arms” had the gun that Daryl posted pics of for sale on their site a couple months ago.

Dustin
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/03/23 10:30 PM
The Birmingham date of proof code is 1934-1935; for a mean service pressure of 11,200 psi + 10-14% and max. service pressure of 12,300 psi + 10-14%
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/04/23 01:30 AM
It is the gun pictured. Right at 8 lbs I think
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/04/23 03:12 AM
I have followed and admired Walter Betts shotguns for years, and this particular Betts boxlock is a gem. I looked at the McNab website numerous times to admire this shotgun; and when I saw it was going to the Vintagers, I knew someone would see the value and buy it. There are a lot of Betts guns in Australia....or should I say there were a lot of Betts guns in Australia. There is quite a Betts following and admirers among those familiar with the Betts quality. If I had been younger with more hunting days ahead than I now have, I would have purchased this one as soon as McNab posted it on their website. Nitrah, you did really well with your purchase.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/04/23 12:23 PM
It is my 3rd or 4th heavy Britt boxlock and finally one that also balances well. It has messed up my thumb due to stiff opening, so that has to be adjusted
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/05/23 02:18 AM
Nitrah,
I would not be surprised if a proper strip and clean cured your stiff opening problem. Frankly, my experience with Betts shotguns causes me to question any need for any further work. Betts was a meticulous craftsman, and his shotguns are held in very high esteem because they worked and held up in the shooting fields to whatever conditions they were subjected. IMHO, stiff opening probably isn't a spring problem.......
Posted By: lagopus Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/05/23 04:50 PM
Note that it is Proof tested for the old British 3" cartridge which was a 1 1/2 ounce load. All modern 3" cartridges are too hot for this gun. The 2 3/4" magnum loads with the CIP mark on the box are suitable. It has the appearance of a live pigeon competition gun. Very nice. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/05/23 07:28 PM
Indeed lagopus

Major Sir Gerald Burrard, The Modern Shotgun, 1955, 3rd Revised Edition Pressures converted from Long Tons/ Sq. Inch at 1”

Standard Load.....................Standard Service........Max. Service
12g 3” 1 1/2 oz. 3.57 Dr. Eq.........9,632 psi.............12,320 psi
(1 1/2 oz. with 3 3/4 Dr. Eq. is 1260 fps)
12g 2 3/4” 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/4 Dr. Eq...9,296 psi.............11,984 psi
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/06/23 01:04 AM
It is clean as a whistle inside. I like the gun, the dimensions are perfect for me but it has caused me to get tendinitis bad in right thumb, limiting all kinds of activities.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Walter Betts heavy 12 - 12/06/23 04:16 PM
I saw that gun, liked it a lot. Unfortunately, I didn't inspect it closely enough to realize it had 1 1/2 ounce proof and 3" chambers. My mistake.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com