doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jimmy W Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/21/23 01:32 PM
I read where the Model 21 parts are supposed to be interchangeable. I have an older 21 that has a cracked forearm. I have a new forend the I want to put on the gun. Can't I interchange it and put the new forend on the gun without too much of a problem? I am kinda leery about taking it apart and breaking something or cracking the new stock. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/21/23 04:23 PM
If one can’t swap forend wood on a forend iron without breaking something- that one should not have access to tools.

No reason not to try it - I don’t see any risk in the process and suspect a decent chance of complete success, but as all things the actual fit quality will be specific to the pieces in your hand and your level of expectation.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/21/23 04:29 PM
I read (I believe in Ned Schwing's book) that the Hession forearms were supposed to be interchangeable, but I didn't know if the BTFEs were, too. Thought I'd ask if someone had changed them before I tear into it. Thanks.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/21/23 04:41 PM
I was gonna try once. (16ga) all signs pointed to working but I didn’t actually do it because the checkering was so very different. I didn’t think it was an improvement.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/22/23 04:32 PM
Jimmy i put a later factory beavertail on my 20 gauge 1948 21 with no problems.Bobby
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/22/23 08:32 PM
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/23/23 03:48 PM
Jimmy go slow and do not force anything. Bobby
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/23/23 05:45 PM
Not familiar with Winchester 21's, but the release for a splinter might not work on the beavertail because of it being thicker where the release is and might not catch.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/23/23 11:03 PM
I swapped a BTFE with a splinter brought off of eBay without issue (luck of the fit). Unfortunately the wood tones don’t match and I doubt I will ever refinish it before I sell it.

If you a leery, pass on doing it yourself and either live with it or get someone good to do it
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 BTFE........... - 08/24/23 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It has a BTFE on it now. The problem is that the foreend has a sliver broken off down the top upper edge about 1/4" down and about 2 1/2" long, which is only cosmetic. I have a nice one with a kidney pattern that is a newer model. The one that is on there looks homemade but works well. The gun is 21XX serial number. The new BTFE is 19XXX. I just don't want to goof up the gun. Tough decision . Thanks again.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com