doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dblgnfix Beretta hammer gun - 08/10/23 11:52 AM
I have a Beretta SXS hammer gun probably made in the late 70's. The bbl flats are stamped 28 cal. chokes are stamped 13.5 in both bbls.
The owner wants the chokes opened and a firing pin and bushing made , (both are missing). I made a new bushing based on the dimensions of the existing bushing,
but it is too small on the thread diameter. The existing thread is .285 diam x 32 tpi. which should convert to 7mm x .8. I have not determined what the other bushing thread is.
When checking the bore diameter it only measures .531" while a 28 ga should be .550. Could it be that these bbls are actually a 32 ga and only the chambers were opened at the factory
but not the bores? Any constructive input would be appreciated
Posted By: ed good Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/10/23 03:05 PM
lou, what you say makes sense...
Posted By: keith Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/10/23 04:17 PM
It sounds as though the existing bushing you used to make a replacement may also be an undersized and incorrect replacement. Measuring female threads is never as easy as male threads. I have had some success by making an undersized slightly tapered dowel out of soft wood like balsa or pine, and then wrapping it counter-clockwise with several layers of aluminum foil. For small threaded holes, you can sand down a wooden match stick to make the tapered dowel. Then screw the foil wrapped tapered dowel into the female threads until it is snug enough to get a good thread impression. Then carefully unscrew it and try to get an accurate measurement of the impression with thread gauges, calipers, etc. At one point in time, I had daily access to an optical comparator which made this kind of size determination much easier. Many well equipped machine shops have one, and a comparator may be the most accurate means of determining exactly what is the thread type, diameter, pitch, etc., short of getting the information from a factory blueprint.

I have also heard of using Cerrosafe to pour a cast of internal threads, which can then be removed and measured. Of course, you would have to use clay or something to dam the open backside, and also pour extra into a nut or something on the breech face to have a means to remove the cast. Cerrosafe shrinks a small amount several minutes after casting, but I'd probably want to lightly coat the threads and breech face with a little graphite lube to ensure easy removal.

I don't know why Beretta would stamp a gun as 28 ga., but have the bores .019" under nominal bore size. But it seems better than finding out a gun is oversized because it has been honed to death.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/10/23 04:20 PM
It's common for European bores to be on the "tight" side and I'm not surprised that you measured the bores at .531".

The 13.5mm stamp was the bore diameter when the gun was proofed and they are the same today - 13.5/25.4=.531".

At one time I had a 12 bore chambered English shotgun with 13 bore barrels and have seen them with 14 bore barrels.
Posted By: ed good Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/10/23 09:23 PM
are the chambers in fact 28 ga? or are they 32 ga?

and 32 ga is .526...close to .531...

in any event sounds like a cool little gun...
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 02:37 PM
The 13.5 is referring to the choke, which is .531 and is marked that way on the bbl flats. That would make it full choke for a 28ga.
but the bore also being .531 doesn't allow me any material to remove. A 28 ga shell fits in tightly in the chamber and the owner tells me they are
hard to remove after firing. But this could be because he is using 2 3/4 " shells in a 2.5" chamber.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 03:14 PM
If the bore is .531 and the "choke" is .531 then the gun is cylinder choke - there is no choke to open.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 03:50 PM
On Italian guns the choke may be indicated by a series of asterisks.

* Full
** 3/4
*** 1/2
**** 1/4

(Approximately)

Does it have any of these?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 04:10 PM
Fly is correct
13.5 would be marked at the time of proof and is the bore, not the choke = 31 gauge. 32 gauge is .526"
The breech end of the chamber for 32g is .574" tapering to .562"
28g is .626" tapering to .614"
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html
What does the chamber measure?
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 05:20 PM
Yes, Beretta did do a 32 ga hammer gun.

John
Arrieta
Posted By: eightbore Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/11/23 06:41 PM
True, John, but this isn't one of them.
Posted By: ed good Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/12/23 12:10 PM
maybe the solution here is to line the chambers for 32 ga 2 3/4" shells, which would then require rework of the extractor...
Posted By: campero Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/13/23 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by dblgnfix
I have a Beretta SXS hammer gun probably made in the late 70's. The bbl flats are stamped 28 cal...

A 28ga hammer gun! Can you post pictures?
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/13/23 10:32 AM
The official nominal bore diameter under CIP for the 28 is 13.8mm and for the 32 is 12.7mm. It seems you have a tightly bored 28. I am assuming you measured bore diameter with a metric gauge.

The threads for the bushings are almost certainly metric.
Posted By: 12boreman Re: Beretta hammer gun - 08/26/23 07:19 PM
If the gun was made in the 1970's it would have a 2 3/4 chamber. The gun is most likely a 28 bore with tight chokes and chambers. I have a 16 gauge Beretta hammer gun made in 1949 with tight chambers and chokes as well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com