doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bumbellybeak Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 03:36 AM
How does a seller ship to a Buyer now that UPS, and FedEX no longer allow private parties to ship firearms? Ask and pay an FFL to ship??
Posted By: steve f Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 04:06 AM
If you're shipping a long gun, you can use USPS. I've shipped Priority Mail and never had them ask what I was shipping. For pistols, an individual can't ship with the USPS, so you'll need to pay an FFL.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 10:27 AM
Be sure to rob a CircleK on the way to the Post office as the long gun over size rates and insurance will shock you! I shipped a Double gun to Skeets for work, It was $75 each way with $1500 insurance.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by AZMike
Be sure to rob a CircleK on the way to the Post office as the long gun over size rates and insurance will shock you! I shipped a Double gun to Skeets for work, It was $75 each way with $1500 insurance.

That's right on the money for a long gun I have coming from New York to Georgia.

This was the info from the seller ........

priority mail - $29.00
non standard length - $15.00
insurance - $14.30
materials - $15.00

Total - $73.30
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 12:28 PM
When did this change?
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 02:51 PM
A work around would be to have private collectors insurance that covers shipping.
Fed-ex and UPS requirements are rules not law.
Posted By: Mike Covington Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 04:56 PM
Fedex web site states an individual can ship via their service if shipped to an FFL holder. Have not tried since the change but may need to soon.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 05:14 PM
Mike C,
This is in place now.

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx.

I believe this went into effect 3rd quarter 2021.
The tards at work.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 05:21 PM
That’s wild I had no idea, I recently sent three out for repairs recently no issues, no updates on the website or on gunbroker. I would imagine there are many guns still being shipped UPS.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 05:24 PM
Don't ask don't tell.
The real issue is getting paid if lost or stolen.
Neither UPS or Fed-ex will pay off if you violated their rules.
Thats why I mentioned the collector insurance above.
Just comply with Federal law.

Even the DA postmasters don't know usps firearms shipping requirements. I tried to ship a long gun usps to Morphy's about a month ago and the postmaster told me I needed an FFL. Refused to ship it, even when I showed him the requirements from usps website. Oh, he let the clerk do the dirty work and wouldn't even come out from the back.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 05:30 PM
Come to think of it, the 36" barrel could have caused the "non-standard length" overcharge.
Posted By: keith Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 07:03 PM
For the same reasons that I no longer do any business with Dick's Sporting Goods, I choose to not utilize shipping companies that impose additional restrictions or hurdles on law abiding gun owners who simply wish to ship a firearm in compliance with Federal and State laws.

In addition, I really don't care for FedEx anyway, because the only gun I had broken during shipping was shipped FedEx. I have also received guns shipped FedEx that had the barrels poking through the box, and other boxes that showed signs of very rough handling. Only careful packing by the seller prevented damage. Another shotgun shipped by FedEx to my FFL was not delivered correctly. Tracking said it went to her business, but it wasn't there. Three days later, it was located at a Walgreens Drug Store in another town about 10 miles away. So I am expected to comply with firearms shipping and transfer regulations under penalty of law, but I guess it's OK for a FedEx driver to drop a gun off anywhere???
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 10:54 PM
Keith,
Agree with you on Dick's. Haven't stepped foot in there since they made a statement by no longer selling AR's.

Both Fed-ex AND UPS have changed their rules to state individuals cannot ship firearms. The only option (excluding handguns) is USPS and its hit or miss if your post office will actually ship it. USPS is a big no no for handguns. Here are the scumbags that sent the intimidation letters.

Edward Markey, Dick Blumenthal, Cory Booker, Dianne Feinstein, and Chris Murphy.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 11:14 PM
I walk into ups ground hub with the ffl of the buyer in my hand (one in the box also) and ship shotguns often. Shipped one in December and one goes out this Friday. Shotgun is broken down and I let them know it’s in pieces with no ammo if they ask. Probably shipped 6 now over last 18 months. You can’t do this at a UPS store! If they ask for ffl,hand them the one in your hand(buyers who the gun actually belongs too since he paid for it already) never had much problem. I guess if we were talking mailing your own gun to a shop, have the shops ffl in your hand and do the same thing. Now obviously they won’t mail it back to you, must get mailed to FFL.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/11/23 11:33 PM
From UPS website:

How To Ship Firearms
Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from SHIPPERS who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

Id bet all hub locations are not up to speed yet.
At my hub, If you declare it they wont take it with out the shippers (mine if I had one) FFL. My PO told me the same although by USPS requirements, I should be able to ship long guns to an FFL as an individual.
Posted By: steve f Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/12/23 03:35 AM
I've always printed my own shipping label at home when I've shipped long guns via USPS. Since everything is paid upfront, there's no reason to discuss insurance. There's nothing for the USPS person to do but weigh to confirm the shipping weight that's on the label, and scan the bar code. As mentioned earlier, I've never had anyone at the Post Office ask what I am shipping. I had a Fedex clerk years ago that was very curious about a guitar I was shipping since I had doubleboxed and gone way overboard with a big outer carton. She kept asking if I was shipping golf clubs for some reason. There was nothing rattling or loose, or shifting around, why golf clubs?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/12/23 11:31 AM
Steve, do your self-printed labels have a peel off backing? Is there a special type of paper available to use when printing shipping labels?
Posted By: steve f Re: Question re: Shipping firearms ?? - 01/12/23 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Steve, do your self-printed labels have a peel off backing? Is there a special type of paper available to use when printing shipping labels?

Nope, I just use plain inkjet printer paper. I've shipped guns, electronics, and dozens of other items over the years (having sold DVDs and junk on eBay) using the inkjet paper. I just tape around the edges of the label using standard clear shipping tape, try not to tape over the barcode area.

I use the PayPal Shipstation function to print labels, even when I haven't used PayPal for payment on the item. The USPS website links to stamps.com, which I haven't used, but a lot of folks do. I have a small AWS digital postal scale I got off Amazon for $20 or so a few years ago that is very accurate. It allows me to weigh up to 55lbs, which is useful for heavier items.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com