doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 05:35 PM
Gentlemens:

I just recieved some pictures of Mr. Mann's rifle that were taken by Mr. R. Dale McGee. These are, of course, scaled down but show pretty good anyway. I will tack a couple detail pictures on the end...

Glenn

Posted By: john dozier Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 05:41 PM
Absolutely stunning and perfect in every way. Elegant, but restrained. In superb taste.Hats off all around
Posted By: James M Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 05:47 PM
This one kind of takes me back 100 years craftmanship wise. A beautiful effort.
Jim
Posted By: BIG AL Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 06:59 PM
That action is a class act, as is the rest of the work. I wonder how it shoots?
Posted By: john dozier Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 07:26 PM
Did Maestro Hurst do the scratching? Certainly looks like his elegant scroll work
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 07:37 PM
Damn what a rifle.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: BIG AL
That action is a class act, as is the rest of the work. I wonder how it shoots?

Al, the gun shoots far, far better than the owner. Glenn shot a 1 1/2 in group at 200 yards with the gun when he tested it for function - that would be with iron sights I might add. For those who don't know about Glenn, he is one of if not the best BPCS shooters in the country. If he keeps his head out of his a$$ this year a Raton he has an excellent chance to be national champion. He tied for first last year and lost in a shoot-off. LOOSER .

I'm new to the game having shot my second match ever this last weekend in Alma, MI. I actually shot two AA scores thanks to Glenn's help spotting for me. Did I mention that the gun is way better than I am ????????
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 08:15 PM
Wish I had a gun like that --- ;^)) Is Glenn's shotgun done yet ? He told me to ask you. Oh yeah, that's surely one great looking stick of wood ! I wish you guys could see the checkering better --- every diamond pointed up & no run overs And with a tiny little ribbon meandering thru pattern. Ken
Posted By: John Mann Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/16/07 11:59 PM
Even tho I post this----I am tongue tied !!!
An expression of awe is all that is necessary.
Best,
John
Posted By: steve voss Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 12:40 AM
As I looked at each picture, I felt like I was watching fireworks on July 4th.

OOOOOHHHH!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Posted By: PeteM Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 01:30 AM
Doug,

An outstanding rifle.

Pete
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 02:39 AM
Thank you Pete. As I said earlier, the rifle is much better than I am. I have no excuses for misses. I did have an excuse for missing some rams on Saturday morning - shooting in the rain with no wind to disperse the black powder smoke makes rams at 500 meters interesting.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 03:06 AM
Well, there's a grown-up's project gun.

We seen some of it in progress and knew it was special, but the completed gun is finest-kind. Literally a "feast for the eyes", the flow of the gun moving attention from one beautiful section to another. A masterpiece, congratulations. Holy smoke!
Posted By: Ortolan Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 01:17 PM
Makes me want to smoke a fine cigar, just looking at it. KBM
Posted By: C.L. Willis Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 02:50 PM
This is indeed the work of a true master. I'm sure to hold this gun to shoulder would put one in awe. Congratulations on a beautiful piece.

Regards,
Charles
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 03:07 PM
No fair, Doug. I'm spending all my time and money fixing my house and my mother's.

Maybe I can tap a little slush fund for Kenny's Lefever in the future.
Posted By: Geno Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 03:25 PM
Very nice, John
Posted By: gil russell Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 04:18 PM
An absolute class act--the rifle and its maker.
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 06:01 PM
Gorgeous!
Posted By: JohnM Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 07:03 PM
As good as they were ever made, ever, and mebbe even better than that. The next "300 Years of Gumaking Exhibit" had better have this one it.

More fodder for my crackpot idea that we are living in something analagous to a New Victorian era, not only as in speculatation about current REALPOLITIC, but most evidentially in terms of compative craftsmanship.

Congrats to all involved. DG Journal bettuh doa feature on 'dis widdle shootin' arhn.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 08:35 PM
Glenn's probably taking a nap resting up from last weekend, but I want to thank you all for your comments. This may be my gun but quite honestly the only part of this gun that I did was the handle (wood). The rest of the gun was, of course, Ken Hurst (engraving), John Gillette (color case hardening), Steve Earle ( the superb action), and last but bestus Glenn Fewless (metalsmithing and bluing).

I think the only analogy that I can make to owning a rifle like this for your first BPCS rifle is to own a Ferrari for you first car.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/17/07 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Doug Mann
I think the only analogy that I can make to owning a rifle like this for your first BPCS rifle is to own a Ferrari for you first car.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Brent
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Mr. Mann' Wesson (Much Pictures) - 07/19/07 04:10 AM
Wow. Spectacular. Hope I can have one half that nice someday!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com