doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Two gun cases - 05/07/20 02:50 PM
About as long as I’ve hunted, I’ve always brought a second gun. Many hunts are 2+ hours each way and I never wanted to ruin the day with a gun malfunction even though it would be very rare. I have always carried them in separate cases/sleeves but I’m looking at two gun cases for convenience. I’ve narrowed it down to a motor case from Jeff’s or a Negrini. Obviously a significant price difference but what would you chose and why?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 02:55 PM
I would stick with two cases.

For years, I muscled a 2 gun Americase around.

No more.
Posted By: james-l Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 03:59 PM
Be classic, I have a oak and leather Woodward case for 2 guns.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 05:45 PM
Two gun cases are just too heavy for anything but display...Geo
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 08:39 PM
I think the 2 gun oak and leather type cases were used when a shooter had others carry his equipment. Hunting in a car or suv with a two gun case is really a pain--awkward at best, damaging the car or things around the case at the worst.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 08:47 PM
Two gun trunk cases were likely devised in a time when traveling aristocrats, or other wealthy, took trips by train. The two guns were protected against all but the worst baggage handlers, and as said by another, not carried by the owner himself. I've never seen the practicality for American hunters, traveling or otherwise. When I fly with guns they are in something much more substantial than an oak and leather case.

YMMV, SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 09:07 PM
I have two 2 gun cases....leg of mutton style except the whole case is an even, rectangular shape. Opens at both ends, one gun accessible from each end. Love them! When I hunt I always bring at least one spare gun. The case holds the gun I intend to use and the gun I may have to use. Easy access for the gun of choice. Compact. Stable on the bed of my SUV.

I would never use them to fly, nor would I use any of my leather or canvas and leather take down cases. For flying I have heavy duty aluminum cases.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 10:35 PM
Canvasback, that would be an Elliott case. They are very elegant.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Two gun cases - 05/07/20 11:01 PM
Thank you Eightbore. I have wondered what their proper name was. Absolutely love them from the first time I used one.
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 04:31 AM
I appreciate the feedback. This definitely wouldn’t be used for anything other than car travel. I have to admit I didn’t give total weight much thought but we’re talking two 6-6 1/2 lb guns for most trips.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 10:45 AM
Two guns in one case gets heavy quickly. They don't put wheels on airline gun cases for no reason!

SRH
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 11:58 AM
I have a two gun case that I originally bought for a pair of consecutively serial numbered Browning O/U's. I'll admit that I really wanted the case to keep the guns together for display purposes most of all but did use the case for hunting a couple of times. My opinion now is that I won't take it for anything rougher than a preserve shoot where I can lower the gate on my truck and open it up while getting ready in a somewhat controlled environment. They are too big and bulky to keep on the back seat and maneuver to get ready with ease especially on the side of the road which brings me to my second reason. I don't want the world to see the case while I'm getting ready at a trailhead or the side of the road. Not everybody is honest and if someone with bad intentions sees you open your $1,000 tan leather case, take out one of two $5,000 shotguns and then walk away into the woods you might not be happy when you get back to your truck.

I typically assemble my guns at home and slip them in very thickly padded cases that I got from CSMC. I still bring two guns every time because I have had a malfunction that ruined a trip long ago so lesson learned. I hide my extra gun as best I can inside the locked truck, making sure to always cover it with extra clothing or whatever is handy.

Bottom line is that double cases are not that practical for a lot of hunting situations but they are really nice for displaying your guns in a more social or controlled environment.

Like I said, I have a double case and I like it. I plan on keeping it forever, but I would never buy another one even though I have several sets of "paired" guns.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 02:48 PM
I have a Jeff's Outfitters case for a 16ga model 12 with an extra barrel set. Call it a gun and a half case? Still to big for anything but a car ride. But the gun(s) do look good in it...Geo
Posted By: LeatherWoodSteel Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 03:51 PM
I usually bring two guns hunting as well. I hunt the first half with one, the second part of the day with the other. I enjoy variety. I have two rugged canvas and leather take down cases I normally use. Depending on the gun, I may put it in a leather slip case. For me, two-gun cases are just too heavy. I also no longer use an aluminum Americase. No point in lugging around all of that weight to the range. For air travel, I have very durable plastic cases on wheels I can roll through the airport.
Posted By: james-l Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 03:52 PM
Just for the hell of it I weighed my Wooward case, it's 18.2 lb with 2 7 lb guns it would be 32.2 lb. Be OK if you had a couple of loaders to pack it.
Posted By: ed good Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 08:02 PM
zero halliburton used to make an aluminum two gun take down case that weighs about ten pounds...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Two gun cases - 05/08/20 11:30 PM
I'd hate to know what my big, two-gun Pelican case weighs completely loaded. The wheels are really important in big airports like Atlanta Hartsfield.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/storm/im3100

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: Two gun cases - 05/09/20 12:15 AM
Just checked. My Elliot case (name courtesy of Eightbore) weighs 9.5 pounds. The guns I usually stuff in there probably average 6.5 pounds so that sounds like a total of 23 pounds.

I may be 61 but I can still handle swinging that thing around.
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: Two gun cases - 05/12/20 12:58 AM
Thanks for the added info. I hunt out of a van and built a gun vault/storage box in the back. It has a slide out shelf but I realized it doesn’t come out far enough to accommodate something like a Negrini or traditional pair case with the lid open. A motor case should be compact enough to fit while we are unloading and loading back up.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com