doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 04:24 AM

Salty ?.

1968 RKST 28 Gauge 28”
I bought it for a song.
I sent it to Legendary Browning guru Art Isaacson and was told upon inspection
“It can be saved”.

Posted By: Buzz Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 11:21 AM
Clearly. Even redone it’s always going to be a ‘68 gun and not collectible even though a 28 ga and if converted to long tang. There are some salty Winchester guns from that era too.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
I sent it to Legendary Browning guru Art Isaacson and was told upon inspection
“It can be saved”.

But, at what cost? The gain is not always worth the pain.

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 12:46 PM
I do the same thing with old English bicycles, Bob. I get some satisfaction in putting a Raleigh Sports model 3 speed, that has been out of service for decades, back in service. They aren’t valuable, but, you can’t buy a new one, and they are still perfect to use on a daily basis.

I’ll have $20-$40 into this when it is done. This is a bicycle you don’t go out and buy new pedals for, you clean and rebuild the ones it came with. Low buck and durable. Might be worth $150 to one of the few individuals who partake in tweed rides around town. Might not be, either. At least it won’t decay further, and will be safe to use.

“Can be saved” doesn’t have to imply a complete “can’t be told from new”restoration, it could be just making the gun safe for daily use. Or, anywhere in between those two points.
Good luck, different configuration for a Super, probably be a lot of fun at my gun club on a sunny afternoon. I wonder if Raleigh ever made a take down case for a shotgun to go on a bicycle?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Buzz Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 01:03 PM
It probably won’t be horribly expensive at Art’s. Cheap in comparison to restoring English guns. There are super 20 ga stocks floating around out there.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 01:32 PM

I bought it for a song.

Hard to dance to a broken record....

Just saying.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 01:42 PM
A better plan may be an upgrade. An upgrade would be my choice. A well done upgrade would draw fewer, if any, negative comments from the purists than would a salt era Grade 1.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
A better plan may be an upgrade. An upgrade would be my choice. A well done upgrade would draw fewer, if any, negative comments from the purists than would a salt era Grade 1.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!

We have begun the process. We’re upgrading this sows ear into a Superposed Superlight Pointer.
The plan at this point is to have it engraved by Angelo Bee. How cool is that?
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 02:05 PM
Ted, looking at that bike brings back lot's of memories for me. I had one when I was about 10 years old. It was black with the 3 speed shifter on the handle bars. It also had a nice leather saddle bag behind the seat.
I have been looking for one for awhile. Year ago at a flee market I found the same bike except it was a girl's bike.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 02:05 PM
If anyone can save it, it's Art for sure.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!

We have begun the process. We’re upgrading this sows ear into a Superposed Superlight Pointer.
The plan at this point is to have it engraved by Angelo Bee. How cool is that?

I think the tune from the song just got a bit richer...

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 02:58 PM

Hey Eightbore!
Stick with Pointer grade wood...

...or move into Diana Grade quality?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Ted, looking at that bike brings back lot's of memories for me. I had one when I was about 10 years old. It was black with the 3 speed shifter on the handle bars. It also had a nice leather saddle bag behind the seat.
I have been looking for one for awhile. Year ago at a flee market I found the same bike except it was a girl's bike.

Keep looking, they are out there. Hope you can adjust your own wheel cones and do other light maintenance, otherwise you have hundreds into a bike worth $50.
They were considered disposable in this country, but, in England, fewer people owned cars in that era, and a bike was usually how folk got around.

Having too much money in an old bike is just like having too much money in an old gun. You are usually stuck with either. But, there is satisfaction in using them.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: canvasback Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 03:10 PM
Spring time! Must mean Ted starting to think of riding bikes! laugh
Posted By: canvasback Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 03:13 PM

Hey Eightbore!
Stick with Pointer grade wood...

...or move into Diana Grade quality?

May just be me but I actually like the look of the Pointer grade better than the Diana.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Spring time! Must mean Ted starting to think of riding bikes! laugh

Been pedaling for a few months, between snow storms. Anxiously awaiting new glasses that should help the wounded eye. Buddy skeet starts the end of the month, wife and son are my buddies, Lake Pepin 3 speed tour is coming up.

Good time of the year. Maybe Bob will have his gun back in time for California dove season.

You going to shoot steel in it, Bob?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 03:52 PM
Negative on the steel Ted.
I did procure a couple of flats of Kent Bismuth n 28 Gauge before California shut the door on Internet ammo.
Dove opener 2019 would be a miracle.

My Raleigh 3 speed (1970) was British Racing Green with the two tone rear fender.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 05:56 PM
Bob,

Are you going to have the frame reshape like a Superlight or just put on a straight grip stock?

Ken
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 06:37 PM
I believe “re-radius” was the term Mr. Isaacson used when he spoke regarding
re-shaping the receiver. It will be a Superlight in every respect.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Think It Might Be... - 05/04/19 11:11 PM
Bob,
That sounds like a nice transition, please post pictures when done.
Karl
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com