doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Havnfun A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 12:45 AM
Hello everyone, I have a unique gun here today that I picked up recently. This is a 10ga Muzzleloader originally made and sold through Wm Read I believe - but then at some point was converted by AG Genez to a Breechloading pin fire. I was able to find some interesting information about AG Genez (see below). Has anyone else run across guns that were modified by Genez? I had no idea what I had bought until it arrived at my doorstep. The wood is outstanding on this gun for sure. Unbelievable what you run across sometimes!!
Brian

Posted By: ed good Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 01:04 AM
wonderful old gun and history...thanks for posting...

have never heard of genez, but obviously, he was a master at his trade...and his being located in lower manhattan is very interesting to me...wonder how many more like him were located in "the city"?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 03:12 AM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post151834

Birmingham proofs on the subject longarm.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Tinker Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 04:52 AM
Nice!

I'd run it if it were mine.
Do you plan to shoot it?
Very nice, highly interesting. A keeper!

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: skeettx Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 11:31 AM
10 gauge pin fire
What a joy
Thank you for sharing

Mike
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Havnfun Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 05:22 PM
Thank you for that link! Very interesting
Brian
Posted By: Havnfun Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/29/19 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Tinker
Nice!

Do you plan to shoot it?

Yes, I plan to shoot the gun - I have to order some 10ga pinfire shells - I have ordered 12ga brass shells in the past but not used them yet - have not loaded pinfire yet, should be interesting....
Brian
Interesting gun and wonderful workmanship. Here's a Genez conversion from a Williams and Powell muzzleloader to a pinfire.

Posted By: SKB Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/30/19 03:17 PM
Cool! I sure do love a ML converted to CF.
Posted By: Tinker Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/30/19 04:00 PM
There's nothing to it.
I've been running pinfire guns and double rifles for years.
Feel free to PM me if you ever get in a bind.

Originally Posted By: Havnfun
Originally Posted By: Tinker
Nice!

Do you plan to shoot it?

Yes, I plan to shoot the gun - I have to order some 10ga pinfire shells - I have ordered 12ga brass shells in the past but not used them yet - have not loaded pinfire yet, should be interesting....
Brian
Tinker, I sent you a PM about shooting a pinfire double rifle. Thanks, Daryl
Posted By: Havnfun Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/30/19 05:55 PM
[quote=Daryl Hallquist]Interesting gun and wonderful workmanship. Here's a Genez conversion from a Williams and Powell muzzleloader to a pinfire.

Hi Daryl

Thank you for posting this! That is almost the identical conversion to mine but yours is in better condition or more extensively restored than mine. Either way very nice!!

Brian
Posted By: Havnfun Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/30/19 05:57 PM
Thank you! I will do that!

Brian
Posted By: Tinker Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/30/19 09:12 PM
Daryl you have a PM from me.
Feel free to email or call.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: A.G. Genez/Wm Read Modified Breechloader - 01/31/19 04:06 AM
Be sure you check the barrel wall thickness over the chamber very close. Some muzzleloaders after cutting a chamber in their breech could end up with rather thin walls in that area. Muzzle-loaders were made for black powder which normally has a lower max breech pressure than does smokeless, might want to stick with black in the conversion.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com