doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Matt Stolley OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/22/19 02:22 AM
I'm going to be in Columbus Ohio for a few days in February with a lot of time on my hands during the day time hours.
Does anyone know of a good gun shop or 2 that I should visit?
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT-Columbus ON area gun shops - 01/22/19 02:35 AM
Matt,
Jaqua's is in Findlay is worth a visit.
Karl
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: OT-Columbus ON area gun shops - 01/22/19 02:23 PM
I am been to Jaqua in the last on several times. The last time I was there they had converted to more production guns.( This was a number of years ago) Cam told me they were doing better with that kind of stuff than the better grade used and new gun. IE: higher grade and more expensive guns.

When I use to go when Bill was running it, most were high grade and collectors gun.

Not now.

John
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Columbus ON area gun shops - 01/22/19 08:21 PM
I knew Bill- years ago-when his store was downtown, near the Courthouse square in Findlay. That's a ways North of Columbus, but not out of reach. Believe his store is located out of town near the I-75 X-Way.

Bill Jaqua set the standard for honest gun dealing-- he had a 3 day return for full refund, NQA policy- wonder how many "Upscale" dealers offer that today? And that was 3 business days after you signed for the delivery of the gun you ordered, not 3 days from when it shipped out of Findlay. The last transaction I had with Jaqua's- Neil Catherines was the gun mgr-- Cam, I assume, is Camilla, Bill's daughter? RWTF
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: OT-Columbus ON area gun shops - 01/22/19 08:56 PM
Jaqua will be your best bet about 1 hr 40 min drive. A lot of the good shops are no more. One of the best was Barns guns in Lancaster Ohio,. However he past away about a year and a half ago.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT-Columbus ON area gun shops - 01/22/19 11:22 PM
I seem to remember that Jaqua's had a trap field out back where you could try out the used guns. John is correct though, they aren't what they used to be regarding guns.
Karl
Posted By: Buzz Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/23/19 01:42 AM
The gun club at Jaqua’s Is no more. However, Jaqua’s is always worth visiting. Nick, who runs the show there is a high quality person. He is Bill Jaqua’s grandson. If you are in to sporting clays, the Cardinal Center is on the NW side of Columbus, and is quite a place. If the weather behaves and you are in to shooting, that place is worth visiting, but it’s not a gun shop.
Posted By: RWG Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/24/19 07:21 PM
Agree that Cardinal is a great place to shoot clays and Jaquas to visit for eye candy. But both are a drive from downtown Columbus.
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/25/19 02:40 AM
Findlay OH is a doable drive for me from Columbus. But if they now have mainly modern guns, Jaqua's may not be for me.
I'll also be at Wright-Patt AFB in Dayton for a couple of days and from there a small side trip to the NMLRA headquarters in Friendship, IN on my way home to IA.
Antique breechloaders and m/l's are my main interests.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/25/19 03:30 PM
If you are going to be in Dayton Peterson's in North Cincinnati is worth a look. Albert Peterson Gun in Sharonville. Nice people to deal with.
Posted By: RWG Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/25/19 07:46 PM
Matt:

Most of Jaqua’s inventory is online. Below is a link to their new arrivals. But you can search the whole inventory using the search function at the top of the page. Suggest you take a look at it before you venture. I would not say “black guns” dominate their inventory, but it has grown in proportion to their double guns. I would say new production sporting guns do exceed their used stock. But They still have good pieces to handle and check out. Nick and the team are very good to work with. It is an unique experience in their gun room. Enjoy. Russ

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/NewArrivals.asp
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: OT-Columbus Ohio area gun shops - 01/26/19 01:49 AM
Thanks for the clarification and link Russ
And to KY Jon
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com