doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 R Watzke Case - 08/03/18 12:56 AM

I recently acquired a custom take down oak and leather case marked inside R Watzke.

Does anyone know where or when it may have been made?

Thanks
Posted By: KDGJ Re: R Watzke Case - 08/03/18 01:37 AM
I think it was made by Bob Watzke. He goes by pheasantfisher on this website.

Ken
Posted By: Rocketman Re: R Watzke Case - 08/03/18 02:26 AM
I second KDGJ"s answer. I have one he made for me about 10 - 15 years ago and I'm very happy with it. BTW this was a hobby as he was a doctor.

DDA
Posted By: pheasantfisher Re: R Watzke Case - 08/12/18 05:57 PM
Have been off the site for a while and just saw yr note and question @ the "R.Watzke ouncase" I used to make O and L cases to order by hand as a hobby-business after i retired- was an Ophthalmologist for 28 years in Iowa city at the U.of Iowa Med school- then the same at the Casey eye Inst at Oregon health Sciences University in Portland Or for another 30 years. I made @ 95 cases- then stopped. I am now 95 and still shoot spt clays. can't hunt anymore but i still love SxS Doubles. I kept one case and it holds a Francotte Eagle 12g which fits it perfectly! Used to make a case from a tracing u would make of yr gun. Can't do it anymore unfortunately tho' I occasionally do a mild rehab on old and battered English case with character. (I A M NOT LOOKING FOR WORK!) thank you for ur interest! Bob W
Posted By: Ryman Gun Dog Re: R Watzke Case - 08/13/18 07:40 PM
pheasantfisher

Bob W,
Glad to see you posting at 95! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods! You have about 20 years on me, I down sized my Grouse Dog Training business greatly now, want to spend more time bird hunting & Fly Fishing with friends, before my legs force me out of the Grouse woods & mountain streams for good

Take care,

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: R Watzke Case - 08/14/18 03:29 AM

Bob, thank you for the post. I am honored to own one of your cases. Now that I know the history, I will treasure it even more.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: R Watzke Case - 08/14/18 12:30 PM
I'd love to see a collection of pictures of these cases. That kind of work sounds really interesting to me.
Posted By: gil russell Re: R Watzke Case - 08/16/18 06:54 PM
Bob: Thank you for the post. I hope I can sit up and take sustenance at 95. Gil
Posted By: swoobie Re: R Watzke Case - 08/17/18 11:51 PM
I had one as well, the original owner had it made for a Parker Repro A-1 special with 3 sets of barrels. The worksmanship was excellent, better than some of my English cases.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com