doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rick Lewis Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 01:03 AM
Maybe I'm missing it but I've been looking for a double in 28 bore, around 6 pounds even, 26 or 28 inch barrels, single or double trigger, POW grip and extractors. The closest I can get is everything but extractors. Seems most makers think I want spent shells flying over my shoulder. Well, call me picky or whatever, but I'd just a soon pick 'em out myself and put them in my vest. Besides if I'm focused on where the missed bird went, why would I want to go looking on the ground for my hulls?

Being fairly new to better guns, is there one I'm missing in my search?
Posted By: topgun Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 01:20 AM
Just remove the ejector springs and guess what? You will instantly have a manual extractor gun!
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 01:21 AM
Rick,
I've seen quite a few recipes for converting ejectors to extractors handed around here. It's not uncommon to do and usually reversable. When you close in on the right gun, ask around and get comfirmation that it's do-able for your gun.
Posted By: Rick Lewis Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 02:06 AM
Jeez, that's too simple. So, can my Citori upland 12 be altered to just extractors?
Posted By: GregSY Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 02:09 AM
Your budget?
Posted By: Rick Lewis Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GregSY:
Your budget?
...said the spider to the fly...

$4,000.00 max.
Posted By: Muskylew Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 03:03 AM
I have just the gun for you, but I need to take a rasp to the full pistol grip. I would still be willing to sell my little woodlander spanish stoger import for maybe $3000 and save you a grand. Plus I would be able to make a nice little profit of about $2750. Let me know when you're ready.

Loren
Posted By: Larry S Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 03:22 AM
Lion Country Supply, 28ga grade 1 or 2 Uggi, extractors
Posted By: rabbit Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 03:37 AM
Cabellas, Ft. Worth, 28 gauge AyA No. 2 SLE, 27" barrels. $3499. Plus you would need an Allen setscrew as a preventer for the kicker on the ejector hammers. Another 30 cents at the TruValue. Quickly reversible with an Allen key if you want ejection when hunting. Better yet is a tiny thumb screw as you would then have hand-disableble ejectors to go with your hand-detachable locks. Might also need tap, tap drill, drill motor or press and a copy of G. T. Garwood's 2nd Gun Book to tell you where to put the machine screw.

jack
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 11:21 AM
RL - yes, your Citori can become an extractor gun by removing the ejector springs (reversable). All (well, almost all) guns have the extraction function independent from the ejection function. Disabling the ejection function has not effect on the extraction function. Yes, it is that easy.

Of course, you ccan also learn to catch the ejected empties in your hand - also "that easy."
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 11:50 AM
Rick,
I did a version of Rocketman's method of conveting a Citori to extractors but just learned a better way. Replace the ejector springs with less powerful ones; such as 1911 firing pin springs which happen to fit exactly.
Posted By: JM Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 12:10 PM
Rick, IMHO, when looking for specific multiple features, you would do better to order a gun made to what you want. It means waiting and perhaps paying a bit more than a used gun, but you get exactly what you want. If you're going to plump down a chunk of change then what you want is exactly what you should get.

Some Spanish makers and even a few Italian makers can fit your budget.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 02:15 PM
The Gamba Principessa is a wonderful, high quality 28 that usually sells for way below its true value because it is usually found with plain extractors rather than ejectors. There are two of them on gunsamerica.com right now, both in high condition, both need price negotiation, both probably extractor guns since the sellers don't mention ejectors. I would buy both since one is open choked and one is tight choked. It would be hard to find an extractor gun of this quality in any other make. Murphy
Posted By: eightbore Re: Trouble finding my "ideal" gun - 10/11/06 02:25 PM
Not to be a SA, but I seem to be able to catch my empties and find my pocket without taking my eyes off the downed bird. I still think you'll like the Gambas.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com