doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sbs Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 03:58 PM
I have acquired a Baker Special (i assume Utility grade), 12 Ga, barrels cut to 23.25 inches. The rib has been drilled and tapped and a one piece Leupold Scope mount installed with a Weaver K1.5 post crosshair. With Rem slugs it shoots 1 inch groups all day to point of aim. With Rem Managed recoil slugs its shoots 2.5inch groups 1 inch low to point of aim. My problem is the trigger pull for the right barrel would make a preacher swear. The stock while showing no signs of wear I fear may at some point start to crack behind the plates as they often due. Any advise on the trigger pull and preventive maint on the stock.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 06:09 PM
I would call the Preacher and ask him to pray for me.
Seriously, the Baker is pretty simple and I would have someone restone the sear or sear notch. Glass or bed the rear of the lockplate area if needed.
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info, The preacher has prayed. I've had the lockplates off and assumed it was a simple process being mindful no to get carried away.
thanks again
Posted By: bsteele Re: Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 06:52 PM
Another thing to try is some super glue in the wood behind the plates. If the wood is not oil soaked it will help strengthen it, if it is oil soaked the glass bedding won't stick either, so you'll need to degrease it anyway. I like super glue because it is thin as water (not bulky like glass) and soaks in great, cleanup is easier - just wipe off any extra with acetone, and you don't have to mix it like epoxy. It really is "super"! - sorry couldn't help myself.
Bryndon
Posted By: CraigF Re: Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 07:51 PM
sbs-
Sounds like a neat gun!
Craig
Posted By: Yogi 000 Re: Baker Side by side - 10/10/06 08:17 PM
Sounds like a nice double slugger, except for the trigger pull. I would take it to a shotgun gunsmith if one is nearby you.

Can you post pictures of this gun? I'd like to see it and I am guessing others would, too.

Something about a double barrel slug gun that gets me all excited! hahahahahaaaaaa
Posted By: RMC Re: Baker Side by side - 10/11/06 01:44 AM
SBS, No complaining about hard trigger pulls unless you have to use 2 fingers to get it to go off. I just picked up a Baker 16 and the front trigger must be a match for yours. Feels like the safety is on. Fox guns I've had seem to be heavy on the back trigger. Go figure. Are you shooting the groups at 50yds? And both barrels shoot to POA? That is a dream of everyone on this board. Randy
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/11/06 07:03 PM
RMC, The groups with the factory loaded Remington Slugger is at 50 yards to POI. The same slug in a managed recoil is 1 inch low to POI at 50 yards. The gun is unique. I have no idea if its been regulated or just touched by the double gun gods. I also have a Stevens Model 335 16 ga side by side that has been fitted with a quarter rib and a standing blade sight with ramp front that shoots Remington Slugs into a 3 inch group at 50 yards. I've been fortunate in locating these two guns. The Stevens was actually put together by a woman shortly after WWII. She was a machinist in an military plant in the northeastern US and an avid deer hunter. I spoke with her prior to her death and she explained she regulated the gun by removing outside edges from the barrels. If you look at the Stevens you can easily see the relief on the left more than the right. I don't know if thats why it shoot so well but who am I to say.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: Baker Side by side - 10/11/06 08:01 PM
Rosie the riveter and regulator?

Sounds too good to be true. If she has a granddaughter I'd like to introduce her to my sons.

Jeff
Posted By: RMC Re: Baker Side by side - 10/12/06 12:25 AM
SBS, I wish I hadn't looked at your post. Now I'm starring at a Baker 16ga. that I have that had the barrels cut to 23 inches. What would that do with slugs??? Just what I need, another project. I was just looking to find a replacement barrel. Never thought of a it as a slug gun. Keep us posted if you take your Baker deer hunting this fall. Randy
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/12/06 11:41 AM
Randy, deer season opens here in acouple weeks and the Baker will be locked and cocked. Last night my brother (a doublegun NUT) noticed that the barrels of the Baker at the muzzle seemed to be somewhat further apart than on a couple of LC Smith that he and I own. A quick measurement proved they are. My brother brought out a Baker that he recently purchased with 26 inch barrels (previously cut) and the centerline measurement on those were wider also. The Baker that I shoot has a fitted wedge between the barrels and appears to be a factory wedge that was installed at the point where the barrels were cut.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Baker Side by side - 10/12/06 12:29 PM
SBS; You said this was a "Baker Special". Is the gun actually marked "Batavia Special". If so this is the steel bbl version of the Batavia Leader. The Batavia line came in several versions & was Baker's "Field Grade" guns. They lacked the hammer block safety & draw bolt of the higher priced Baker line. They were a very good gun for their price.
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/12/06 12:41 PM
2-piper, yes the gun is marked Baker Special. In all my ramblings I forgot to mention another issue with this one and the other I have, the safety slides a touch too far to the rear almost like a three position type. In so doing the gun will discharge. I assume an easy fix.

Mark
Posted By: mike lane Re: Baker Side by side - 10/13/06 12:50 AM
On two of my bakers the safety can be released by pushing forward or back.Neither has the connector installed for auto safety return. I am guessing that the rod or whatever is missing and that it is a three position safety. By sliding it back it would be disengaged for shooting trap or live bird shooting. Sliding it forward would put it in position to be returned automatically.Safe is centered between.
Posted By: RMC Re: Baker Side by side - 10/13/06 04:36 AM
SBS, Exactly how would you describe the wedge between the barrels on your Baker. Do you think that it is a factory fix? Have you taken the wedge out to inspect it as to its function? A wedge to me would be to seperate the barrels more on regulating if that is what was actually done on your Baker. My 23" Baker appears under a loupe to be just solder to fill the gap. What gives? I hope that wedge isn't the majic that is making your Baker a one holer? That would give no hope for my 16ga. Baker to be nothing other than a street sweeper. Randy
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/16/06 02:17 PM
Randy,The wedge looks to be a solid piece of steel flush with the muzzles however there is solder above and below. I don't think its a wedge used during a regulation process. I would guess that when the barrels were cut off the owner fitted this wedge to give it a more finished look. Just my thoughts.
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 10/17/06 05:03 PM
Just an update, the trigger pull has been adjusted on the right lock, breaks clean at 3.5 lbs. The locks have been removed and i have bedded the lock area. I have also fitted a Silvers recoil pad. The gun continues to shoot great. I shot some of the Federal Tru-Ball slugs and the groups were tight however 4 inches high to POA. I tried the Federal Tru-Ball slugs in an LC Smith R Frame 12 ga 26 inc barrels (previously cut) and both barrels with the bead shot to POA at 25 yards 3 inches low. I plann on trying the muzzle relief on the outer edges as was done on the Stevens. Not to fret this Smith is a mis matched serial number put together gun. I am attemting to post pictures however i have dial up service (live in the sticks) I attempted to download some last night and after two hours gave up.
Posted By: sbs Re: Baker Side by side - 01/10/07 04:17 PM
Good day all, I have been busy on another page of this website (topic: side by side conversion) however I have had time to work on another Baker that I acquired. Its the same model as the one I had previously purchased. The barrels had been cut to 25 inches with a butcher knife, so I found a factory wedge at the 23 inch mark and recut, squared and filled with solder. I have been trying different ideas about regulating and may have hit on something however I will have to acquire another gun to confirm. I fitted this Baker with open sights and sling swivels. I made a steel wedge 1.5 inches long, contoured to fit on the underside of the barrels, this wedge is shaped, profiled and slightly protrudes below the barrels. I placed this wedge at the muzzle end of the barrels and held it in place with a automotive style hose clamp. I zeroed the right barrel and then went to work on the left. Without getting too lenghty the left barrel printed 8 inches to the right of the point of aim at 50 yards. I began to reposition the wedge towards the rear with minimal results however the POI was moving towards the point of aim. I made another wegde 2 inches long an slightly thicker and started over. The wedge has landed up 1.75 inches in front of the sling swivel stud and the gun is shooting both barrels to point of aim into a consistent 3 inch group at 50 yards. I'm unsure if I have found something or maybe the gods of regulation have granted me a temporary stay. Any ideas?

Mark
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com