doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 12:46 PM
It's time to remove the locks on my graded Tobin shotgun.
As I remember, Tobins have rollers on the tips of the cocking arms, and I'm beginning to feel some "lack of smoothness" on cocking.

Before I embark, any tips?

I always remove locks by first cocking them, then measuring the screw slot width and length, I fit a turnscrew, and them tap the bit into the screw to break loose the threads. I typically put a drop of penetrant on the off side, occasionally heating the end of the pin with a soldering iron, to get it to suck up penetrant.

Occasionally, I'll outline the lock plate with a scribe, just in case it is embedded in wax or finish.

I'm anxious to clean and photograph the internals to share here, after a sonic cleaning and lubrication.

I'll have to email the pics to someone when I'm through.
Drew can have them if he wishes when I'm through.

I'm concerned that PB has trashed much of the carefully collected historical information consolidated over the last 20 years.
TIA
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 01:06 PM
I'm clueless about Tobin innards, but Researcher should be able to help.
I would very much like to add images here, which I'd be happy to post on the Forum, maybe with a tutorial from you regarding disassembly and reassembly tips?
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22641451

The Tobin congregation is small, but always interested in the preaching wink
Please send full size high resolution pics by jpg attachment to revdoc2@cox.net and thanks!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 02:35 PM
Researcher or I think Ted still has his Tobin.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 02:46 PM
Photobucket isn't allowing me to do anything anymore, so I can't post photos to this board any longer.

You want to have the hammers down on a Tobin to open it up. The sears are mounted on the lockplates.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 02:49 PM
I'm really trying to stuff as much material into a secure location as I can.
If we don't, decades of work disappears forever.
At least if we stow some material, there's the chance of a Google hit.
The loss of Michael Petrov's work broke my heart.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 09:21 PM
Removed the lockplates, and into the sonic box they went.

The work inside is very good.

The stock work, exemplary.

Even the pins are numbered to the gun. Weird.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 09:49 PM
My last Tobin has a new owner. I'm likely preaching to the choir, but, low pressure loads are the key to a happy Tobin.
I'm thinking my spring vise did not fit my Tobins, and there was just enough room to compress the mains with a duck bill pliers. I can't remember if the gun was cocked, or, not when I did that, I'm guessing either way will work.

Most posts are improved with images. This was just a nice old "Tournament"
16 gauge Tobin:

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 09:57 PM
Discharged as Dave said.
Going to have to wait until I send Drew some photos for safe keeping.

The little rollers were gunked up.
Having a good time playing with macro mode on my camera.
Mainsprings lifted out with a set of duckbills.

Stock work inletting is like glass. I should strive to be so perfect.
It's gun 269 if there's any records anywhere. Presuming the numbering started over in Canada.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/18/17 10:18 PM
I was lucky enough to handle Greg's gun last Sunday at the range, it's a beauty!
Karl
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/19/17 02:27 PM
Tobin did not start their serial numbers over when they moved to Canada. Your number 269 is a puzzle. Is your gun marked Woodstock or Norwich ?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/19/17 02:54 PM
Likely Crandall Tobin courtesy of Researcher

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/19/17 08:57 PM
Greg sent excellent high resolution images, but some detail is lost with PictureTrail resizing
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24779062

Before cleaning

Sear roller

Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/21/17 02:29 AM
Be very careful if you have a single trigger! It swings wider in the inletting than the lower tang. If you don't know it it will befuddle you of worse. break the wood out if you get a bit overzealous.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/21/17 02:36 AM
Drew,
Don't know if you caught it, but, both the hammers and the main spring/cocking rod have rollers built into them.
It was a clever design, that cried out for a frame of heat treated 4140 chromoly.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/21/17 02:40 AM
Greg sent an image of both rollers, but on resizing it was enough out of focus to be unclear.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Tobin Lock work - 07/21/17 11:50 AM
Drew, I'll fix that this AM.
I'm sending you the head =on stock inletting view, the main spring roller view, and Of great interest to me, a side view of the action bar cutout showwing the cam lobe carved in the action for the roller to glide over.

Damned ingenius that.

Stay Tuned!

I'm going to do this with all my relics.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com