doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: OH Osthaus Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 12:53 PM
i recognize all the marks except the one farthest to the right in this picture - sorts looks like a lion to me, but since the marks (except the bore) are normally vertical along the barrels it would not be standing on all four-

its on a WW Greener - i think around 1869 -75

can anyone ID that one mark?

Posted By: Hugh Lomas Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 12:56 PM
Greener Trade Mark of an Elephant
Posted By: lagopus Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 01:18 PM
Greener's held quite a few punches with the 'Elephant' Trade Mark. Some looked more like an elephant than others. A friend in the trade had one of the old elephant punches gifted to him. Sadly he passed away so I have no idea what happened to it. I guess they would be quite collectable. Lagopus.....
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 01:25 PM
thanks guys -
i wondered if it was a Greener specific mark
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 02:45 PM
Think the one on my former hammer gun from that era was slightly blurry as well. I believe the one on my boxlock made in 1892 was much crisper.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/07/16 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Greener's held quite a few punches with the 'Elephant' Trade Mark. Some looked more like an elephant than others. Lagopus.....

this one must be of the animal cracker variety of elephants

laugh
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/08/16 10:03 AM

I have an old W Richards side lever with simulator markings. Also Birmingham? The square mark?

I was told the 14 was the bore gauge. It has 12 gauge chambers.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/08/16 01:00 PM
yes - your marking are standard black powder markings for a Birmingham gun of the time-

and 14 is the size of the bore as proofed- I think that is quite common - I don't think I have a British hammer gun with markings less than the chamber size - 12 ga's are 13's or 14's and the 10 is marked 10 bore and 12 muzzle
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Birmingham proofs - 10/08/16 02:35 PM
Realize this gun was proofed prior to 1887 & no "Tween" sizes were used prior to that date. 14 gauge = .693" & 13 gauge = .710". When proofed this gun's barrels accepted a .693" diameter plug gage but would not accept a .710" one. Its bores could have been as large as .709" & still carried the 14 mark.
In 1887 the between gauges were introduced as 14/1, 13/1 etc as well as the chamber marking, as of 12 over C in a diamond.
There were many 12ga guns proofed in the Birmingham house with "12" bores.They simply stamped the size according to what the maker sent them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com