doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ducks Rx English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 01:44 AM
Just purchased nice Slingsby's of Boston England 16 ga SXS. Gun has 2.5 in chambers and is proofed at 3 tons and barrels measure 662. Shooting RST lite loads but I reload for skeet and clays. Can reload several loads ranging from 6200 psi to 8400 psi.
What would be max psi should shoot. These reloads range in shot weight from 3/4 to 7/8 to 1 oz.
Thanks to all
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 02:34 AM
English 16s are a real treat, but you must feed them properly. Mine's even in proof for 70mm shells but....I still feed it low pressure loads (mostly RST). The rule of thumb I tend to go by is to keep things under 8000 psi.
Posted By: old colonel Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 03:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
English 16s are a real treat, but you must feed them properly. Mine's even in proof for 70mm shells but....I still feed it low pressure loads (mostly RST). The rule of thumb I tend to go by is to keep things under 8000 psi.

Concur with Lloyd3
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 06:17 AM
YUP! My wee Jeff LOVES RST's
Posted By: 2-piper Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 12:50 PM
English 3 ton crusher pressure translates to approximately 8960 transducer PSI. Lloyd's 8K psi is certainly a good working maximum. Even more important than pressure is keep your shot load & velocity down to a reasonable level. Most english 16 ga guns are comparatively light weight & you don't want to batter them with heavy loads.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 01:19 PM
Light loads, low shot charge and reasonable velocity are a must. Shooting modern factory hunting loads in any sub six pound gun is more abuse on the gun and shooter than I ever want to deal with on a high volume basis. If those type shells must be shot a light English double is not even on my list of guns to use.

The 16ga.com site have many good light reload recipes. If you reload and have a 16 and reload it is a must join site.
Posted By: Ducks Rx Re: English 16 ga double ammo question - 06/22/16 10:32 PM
Thank You fellow forum members for information.
I am a member of 16 ga forum and subscribe and use the posted low pressure standard velocity receipes. Shot some 3/4 oz in 2.5 in reloads today at skeet. Published and tested at 1150 fps with 6880 psi. Broke clays well and very mild recoil.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com