doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bghntr416 Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 03:10 AM
I am having some work done on some barrels for a Boswell hammer pigeon gun. Ribs are being relayed and then a rebrown. So, now is the time to pick up the engraving. Of course, that just keeps adding $$$! Do I bite the bullet and have it done? Are there any engravers out there that you would recommend? Any idea of cost (about 36 letters and the borders on the breech end). I used to have Charles Lee take care of these but he has gone back to the other side of the pond.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 03:32 AM
Geoffroy Gournet. Very good at matching other styles of engraving.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: tut Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 07:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Geoffroy Gournet. Very good at matching other styles of engraving.

Best,
Ted

What Ted said times two.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 11:45 AM
John Todd did a rib repair/re-engraving job for me and the work was flawless.

John Todd
9797 W. Colfax Ave. Suite 3ww
Lakewood Colo.
80215 303-718-2550
E-mail: john@johntoddengraving.com

Hope this helps.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 04:14 PM
Make smoke pulls of all the engraving before you go Any further!
Posted By: bghntr416 Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 05:13 PM
Great advise and direction. Thank you. I will make some calls.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 05:23 PM
The engraving should be taken up after polishing. Photo document as polishing goes so that what was there can be soon in case areas get lightened during polishing.
Gournet is great.

If you want to know cost, contact some engravers and ask. I dont know why people ask random people on the internet tomspeculate on what things might cost.
Posted By: bghntr416 Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/18/16 11:37 PM
Professionals read these posts as well and may chime in on costs and there are others out there who may have had similar jobs done that may be able to give an example of cost. Thanks for the advise on taking additional photos. Smoke pulls seem like a great idea as well.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/19/16 04:11 AM
Smoke-pulls and/or pics are good for a 'picture' of the engraving.
A 'pull' is the most usefull in laying a pattern, or large missing piece of it back down onto the metal to cut it & reproduce the engraving.

If only small areas of the pattern are thinned out or missing, a picture or smoke easily lets you see what needs to be hand drawn back into place and cut.

Some engravers don't or won't do any metal polishing/ so the bbls may have to be sent ready to cut. They'd appreciate the above in some form to fill in any vague areas.

Others will work with you and on a job like this may even prefer to have you leave the last inch of the breech unpolished. That way they can re-cut and polish/blend what is there w/o any guesswork.

Do your Re-rib work first,,then polishing, then engraving recut,,then rustblue/brown or damascus finish.

Depending on who does it, and how they approach it )polishing work involved or not), prices starting at around $200/250 for the re-cut work(border and lettering).
Up, and way up from there.

Plus shipping both ways,insurance of course.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/19/16 05:09 PM
Suggest you give Ken Hurst a call. This seems to be just the sort of small job that he is beginning to resume. Look at the post that starts with his name, "Ken Hurst is back in business" and scroll down to find his newest telephone number.

Regards
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/20/16 02:33 AM
Del Whitman can do it all. Relay ribs, browning and engraving. His engraving is exceptional btw and I've been 100% satisfied with all of the work I've had him do. Another name is Barry Lee HandsAnd yet another top notch dude. Ron Collings is retired I believe, which is a shame, damn he was good.
I recently had a set of pins, top lever, trigger guard bow and a hinge pin engraved by Lee Griffiths in Utah....he's on a different level artistically speaking. Absolutely amazing talent.
The recommend for Gournet is completely sound. He's a good dude and he flat out is a master at his craft.
Lots of excellent choices out there. Another Utah engraver, S. Welch is a poster here on the board, I've seen his work and it too is exceptional.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/20/16 05:20 PM
I have used both Sam Welch and Geoffroy Gournet. Both master engravers and good people.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Engraving Advise Sought - 06/20/16 05:58 PM
I bought a 16 gauge LC Smith project gun in the white that someone had already restocked and re-blued the barrels. I got it relatively cheap and most of the big money was already spent.

So I gave Geoffroy Gournet a modest budget and asked him to finish it off with some engraving and have it case colored by anybody he felt comfortable with. He blew me away with the results.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com