doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Drew Hause "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/25/15 02:39 PM
Most of us have seen the news of Maureen O'Hara's passing. Reminded me of one of my all-time favorite John Wayne movies "McClintock!". We've discussed the double he was using in the pheasant hunting seen with Stefanie Powers in the past. The only (tiny) image I could find clearly shows a hammer gun WITH A WHITE LINE RECOIL PAD!

I don't feel so bad about being a recoil wimp now wink

And BTW his "Greener" in "Big Jake" was a Crescent

Posted By: wyobirds Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/25/15 03:09 PM
Wow, no kidd'n? I don't use recoil pads on any of my SxS's.
Makes me want to rip handfuls of hair from my chest and give forth with my best Tarzan yell.
Posted By: GregSY Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/25/15 06:00 PM
That Crescent isn't really a gun, now is it? More like a digging tool that can be used to fire shells.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/25/15 10:51 PM
I for one. am glad they did not buy a pair of Greeners and cut the barrels down. As to the recoil pad I'm sure props found the guns as is and just cut the barrels down. Props often are cheap items made to look like the real things and this is a prime example.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 12:24 AM
Or better yet, spank that hot redheaded broad that co-starred in "Mcclintock" with the great Duke-
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 12:52 AM
Okay, Drew, what shotgun was Bob Valdez, played by Burt Lancaster in VALDEZ IS COMING, carrying at the beginning of the movie?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm694074112/tt0067921?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_sf_8

Then when the guy rides back over the hill and Valdez shoots him out of the saddle?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm677296896/ch0490935

confused

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 12:56 AM
Another shot of the longer barreled hammer gun, with what appears to be a side lever.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm761182976/ch0490935?ref_=chmi_mi_all_sf_2

SRH
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 10:37 AM
John Wayne was pretty tall, a recoil pad is an easy way to lengthen the stock. I'm tall and all my guns have recoil pads and I'm not recoil sensitive at all.

Steve
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I'm tall and all my guns have recoil pads and I'm not recoil sensitive at all.

Steve

Me, too, Steve.

SRH
Posted By: Hairy Clipper Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
John Wayne was pretty tall, a recoil pad is an easy way to lengthen the stock. I'm tall and all my guns have recoil pads and I'm not recoil sensitive at all.

Steve

A long gone dear friend was 6'10" and he had the thickest recoil pad he could find mounted on his SXS with screws and then a slip on one on top of that and it was still too short!
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 02:18 PM
Looks like Burt is carrying another of your favorite W. Richards Stan smile

or it could be a Folsom Enos James & Co.

Posted By: Der Ami Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 03:21 PM
Run With The Fox,
That "hot redheaded broad" died last week, a lot of people will miss her.
Mike
Posted By: Boats Re: "Duke" used a recoil pad?!? - 10/26/15 03:33 PM
Everybody is "recoil sensitive" they just don't all know it. Basic rule all shooting sports is the gun that delivers adequate ballistics on target and has the lightest recoil is the one that will deliver highest scores.

However I never saw much recoil effect difference with or without a pad. They do make the stock fit better for a tall shooter and stay in place on your 2nd shot better than a hard slick butt plate.

Boats
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com