doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tut articulated trigger - 06/08/15 03:06 AM
Anyone have one on their guns? I have had a Merkel 200E in 16 gauge for a while and only noticed the other day that the front trigger was articulated. Wondered how common it was and whether any american classic guns had them.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 03:26 AM
More often found on Continental make guns. Occasionally on British guns. Don't know about USA made guns.

DDA
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 04:43 AM
My Merkel 203E (double trigger) and many AyA models (my No 1 has it). Common on the higher grade Spanish models. I haven't seen it on English guns, but I believe it occasionally features.
Posted By: Edwardian Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 05:29 AM
"tut," I own a circa 1882, 20-bore Westley Richards best quality boxlock that has an original and beautifully finished articulated front-trigger, which of course mechanically assists firing the right barrel when so positioned. It is an original attribute and not a later refinement to the gun.

This particular early boxlock gun, based on the justly famous 1875 Anson & Deeley patent, has just the one forward lug to engage the hinge pin and is secured when closed by a single top-bolt and the top-rib's doll's-head extension seated in its mortise atop the action body at the breech. This apparently long-inventoried gun, which was initially intended to be a 16-bore gun (Measured from their respective centers, the firing pin holes are exactly 1-inch apart, proving the point.), was sold by Westley Richards to Lord Alfred Douglas in 1889, after being finished and nitro-proofed as a 20-bore gun with 3-inch chambers, according to their period business records.

The unintentionally wobbly photograph below is a right-side profile of the aforementioned 20-bore's action body that shows, if you look very carefully, the delicate and barely perceivable line of the joint for the articulated front-trigger blade:

Immediately below is a close-up of the same articulated front-trigger blade being personally manipulated forward. The glare of the flash and bad focusing cause the mechanism and surrounds to appear somewhat crude, while the constituent parts are in reality Swiss watch-like finely made, almost delicate, and very refined in true physical appearance. The articulation of the hinged and pinned parts is enabled by a petite flat spring housed and hidden from view amongst the mechanical systems associated with the trigger-plate extending from the action body:

There probably are other Westley Richards guns in use that feature an articulated front-trigger too; although, this is the first and only one where I have seen the subject feature incorporated with an early U.K. boxlock gun, especially that fitted to an antique or a vintage small-bore gun.

Regards,

Edwardian
Posted By: crazyquik Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 10:39 AM
My Spanish 16 gauge from the city of Elgoibar (but otherwise, of indeterminate origin) has one.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 01:02 PM
I have two guns with articulated triggers.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 01:29 PM
All of my Spanish sidelocks have articulated triggers. Some high grade Parkers have them.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 01:33 PM
I have a rather nice 1926 Belgian no name sle that has the hinged trigger.
franc
Posted By: wyobirds Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 02:32 PM
My Parker Repro has articulated triggers.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 02:36 PM
I have such a trigger on a Beretta. I think it's cool, but there has never been a moment when I thought, "Wow, that hinged trigger really saved my finger from a beating."
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: articulated trigger - 06/08/15 02:59 PM
The front trigger on my 1950 Beretta model 410E is articulated...Geo
Posted By: cadet Re: articulated trigger - 06/09/15 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
The front trigger on my 1950 Beretta model 410E is articulated...Geo

Mine, from 1951, has one too.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: articulated trigger - 06/09/15 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: wyobirds
My Parker Repro has articulated triggers.

Articulated triggers are rare on high-grade Parkers and unheard of, at least to me, on a DHE Parker Reproduction. Are they original to the gun? If so, would you please post a macro pic of the right side of the triggers on your gun? It would be a real treat for those interested in the rare and unusual to see them.

TIA,
Posted By: wyobirds Re: articulated trigger - 06/09/15 04:47 PM
Ooops!!
My apologies to all who read my inaccurate post re my Parker's articulated trigger, it's not, but the front trigger moves about 16th of an inch forward.
Posted By: Philbert Re: articulated trigger - 06/10/15 01:13 AM
I have one on a circa 1913 German SxS by W. Forester.
Posted By: oskar Re: articulated trigger - 06/10/15 02:27 AM
I have a Nitro Special that was built into a skeet gun for a small person and I believe small hands. Open choke on the left as most of the shots on the field are singles and with small hands the rear trigger is more comfortable. To fire doubles you fire the rear trigger and just straighten your finger, the front trigger moves forward with the slightest of pressure and then snaps back as soon as your finger clears so it is extremely quick with a minimum of movement. I am small is stature with small hands and it is great. It pivots on the pin and not hinged at top of the trigger like my Bernardelli.
Posted By: Hairy Clipper Re: articulated trigger - 07/07/15 12:58 AM
My Bernardelli Gamecock DeLuxe has an articulated trigger.
Posted By: Bajajack Re: articulated trigger - 07/07/15 01:45 AM
In my experience, nearly all best British double trigger guns have them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com