doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fla3006 V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/27/15 05:01 PM
These shotguns were available with several standard & optional engraving patterns. Anyone have names, descriptions, costs, images? Thanks.
I know that the pattern with the very small full coverage scroll was a very expensive option. I remember it being something like seven or eight grand, maybe more, added onto the price of the gun. I believe that pattern was referred to as the #20 engraving pattern.
Like this?

There were different grades of the Bernie Holland guns. Don't know whether they were differentiated by the engraving only or if there were other differences. Expect John Boyd, who was a Bernardelli importer for a number of years, would be the person to ask.
Posted By: Buzz Re: V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/27/15 11:47 PM
I'm wondering if that pretty gun is partially acid etched. The flower portion kind of reminds me of Browning Superposed Presentation grades, some of which are acid etched. The scroll looks like it was done by hand?
Engraver's signature on above gun is "Inc. Bertussi"
The pictured gun is not even close to a #20 engraving pattern. The #20 is, to say it politely, a bit different.
No one said it was, still politely asking. Got a picture of #20? I'd love to see it.
Posted By: Buzz Re: V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/30/15 11:55 PM
I think the fences (balls) and top lever are clearly and beautifully hand-engraved. The rest of the action and lock plates appear different. The metal has a whiter appearance than the fences. Makes me wonder if some of it isn't acid etched (dipped in an acid changing the character of the surface). The signature may be for that which was clearly hand engraved. I wish we could get the opinion of one of the engravers who frequent this site. I'm not sure, just wondering.
Posted By: abner Re: V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/31/15 04:05 AM
I have a 1960s Bernardelli catalog with three grades of Holland engraving patterns: Holland V.B. Liscio-Light Engraving, Holland V.B., and Holland V.B. Tipo Lusso-DE GRAND LUXE. The last two are heavy, deep engraving and the last is deep engraving with dogs and a hunting scene. I could send you a copy of the Holland gun pages if you like. Let me know.
The #20 seems to be very small full coverage scroll.
Posted By: abner Re: V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/31/15 08:47 PM
Hello: Email with seven photos has been sent.
Thanks Ralph. Here are some pics of mine, a little closer:

Posted By: Buzz Re: V. Bernardelli Holland Engraving Patterns - 01/31/15 11:38 PM
Looks more like hand-engraving in those photos, the scroll for sure. Sure wish an engraver would make comment.
It is hand engraved. The style of engraving is known as "Corumbelle" after Hypolite Corumbelle who first designed that style with ribbons and festoons over English scroll. Corumbelle was a Belgian who started an engraving school in Bologna in the 1950's. He was also the father of Lyson Corumbelle.

I have a Garbi 200 that has very well executed Corumbelle engraving on it.

As far as the name Bernardelli used to catalog the engraving of the gun in question, I don't know.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com