doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 1cdog Duck/Goose gun and bore measurements? - 03/18/14 11:05 AM
Looking to purchase a vintage, say 1930, SxS to do some Duck/Goose hunting. Bore measurements are .733+ .736 35 30.

Would those measurements be suitable for today's heavier loads?

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted By: 1cdog
Looking to purchase a vintage, say 1930, SxS to do some Duck/Goose hunting. Bore measurements are .733+ .736 35 30.

Thanks in advance! Gun weight, barrel length, chamber length and forcing cone taper would also be items of interest to me, FYI--
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Duck/Goose gun and bore measurements? - 03/18/14 01:36 PM
Before this lurches sideways the original question concerning the barrels is all I would like some feedback on. Everything else is OK.

Thanks in advance.
With out having hands on with the gun.
I would say NO. There is a lot more to it than bore size.

bill
Those bore dimensions are subject to sudden change when firing steel shot in a vintage gun......;)
Posted By: Byrddog Re: Duck/Goose gun and bore measurements? - 03/18/14 06:51 PM
obtuse question! Dont look for an answer.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Duck/Goose gun and bore measurements? - 03/19/14 06:15 PM
The gun you describe, .030-.035 wall thickness is within acceptable limits. The restriction is pressure levels and too tight chokes for most non toxic loads. Also stock ability to handle heavy loads should be a consideration.

Which guns are on your list? What shells are on your list. If using steel I risk nothing greater than a nitro special with chokes opened to IC and Light Mod. Others would shoot a 10 k gun and not worry.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Duck/Goose gun and bore measurements? - 03/20/14 04:00 PM
These measurements would be suitable for a duck/goose gun using Nice Shot.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/c/6-Nice-Shot.aspx

Added opinion: I would have the stock stabilized (epoxy?)

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com