doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark Dube A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/05/13 07:30 PM
There doesn't seem to be much information readily available about this maker (I have read the ealier post on this site)so I thought I'd share and see what I can learn.

The gun is a SLE with 100%(?) engraving coverage consisting of many different styles of engraving.

Decorated with all the bells and whistles of the time:
- Ejectors (Deely)
- Side clips
- heel and toe plates

I do not recall ever seeing lock plates this shape, anyone else?

I look forward to your comments

Posted By: WildCattle Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/05/13 09:30 PM
Nice gun Mark,
This is an early back action lock. The bar part is not needed and allows more metal to stay on the action. The best H&H doublerifles are built that way.
This gun has the Webley look...Any number on the barrels forend loop or in the vicinity? (I would guess 8xxx or 9xxx)
I would say 1890s vintage...
The urn on the bottom of the action was fairly common on Manton guns. I don't know what it means, or what is the story behind it.
Best of luck with it!
WC-
Posted By: Doverham Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/05/13 09:34 PM
the fences and engraving are first class!
Posted By: 1cdog Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/05/13 10:01 PM
Very nice looking gun. From the pictures it looks well preserved.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/05/13 10:42 PM
Gentlemen, now we know what a gun with 100% engraving coverage looks like. Wow! Incredible artistic workmanship. The carving on the fences is outstanding. I agree, it could easily come from the works of Peter Webley. Certainly a product of Birmingham.
Posted By: 2holer Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 01:12 AM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...7a536181225d36f

http://www.gunsinternational.com/William-P-Jones-Best-12-Gauge.cfm?gun_id=100327963
Posted By: justin Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 01:18 AM
I was sure that by now someone would post the info from the IGC on Jones. Hope it will appear soon.
Barring that Boothroyd gives him about 2/3 of a page in his " Directory"listing multiple addresses and four patents.
Doug Tate has a nice blurb on Jones including the development of his try gun in his book "Birmingham Gunmakers"
If you want photos of the pages pm your email to me and I'll get them off to you
Posted By: Hussey Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 01:48 AM
I am constantly amazed at the quality and detail of English guns. This one is beautiful.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 03:51 PM
Mark,
A great find and a splendid example of best Birmingham work .
In his book ,Experts on Guns and Shooting, G.T.Teasdale Buckell, Chapter 14 [7 pages] is devoted to the work and inventions and In praise of W.P Jones.
Of special interest is Mr Jones skill as a gun fitter and his development of shooting schools as we know them today.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 04:43 PM
Whoever made the stock of this gun could certainly wield a chisel.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 05:22 PM
Whoever made the stock of this gun could certainly wield a chisel.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/06/13 09:38 PM
I think the engraver switched from his usual tea to coffee....STRONG coffee

Beautiful gun, Mark.
Posted By: Mark Dube Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/07/13 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input gentlemen!

WC - no numerical stamps anywhere near the the forend loop, while looking I did notice a small circle of words (letters?) I will try to photograph later today.

2holer - thanks for the links, Mr Jones sure went out of his way when it came to engraving.

Justin - Thank you for the info.

Roy - thank you for the info. I had not heard of that book, and it looks like it's readily available and reasonably priced.

M
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/07/13 06:21 PM
Jones made guns for the trade, too. I have a Kirkwood [U.S.] marked with W.P.J.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/08/13 02:26 AM
I'd certainly agree that the engraving is a very high % coverage and of very high quality. The composition is --- well --- confusing. I have to admit that the use of scroll, rose bouquet, and animal scene is novel.

Interesting to see best work on a flat back with a through lump, too. A very good example of best work that doesn't conform to the London pattern for best guns.

Is the "Trade Mark" on the floor plate WPJ?

DDA
Posted By: Small Bore Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/08/13 07:19 AM
Very interesting and eclectic mix of engraving on the locks, classic Webley fences and relatively simple, mid quality lock work. Certainly a very nicely finished gun, I agree, it most likely came from Webley.

WPJ was an inventive man. I actually have a single trigger hammer gun by him! The only one I have ever seen, built with his patent - and it works!
Posted By: justin Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/08/13 11:26 AM
Great eyes Rocketman.
What is the "flat back" you refer to?
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/08/13 01:56 PM
Hollis Bentley and Playfair produced guns with those fences. Their 1911 Cataloge shows an illustration of same. They were advertising guns built "for the Trade".
Posted By: Rocketman Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/10/13 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: justin
What is the "flat back" you refer to?

"Flatback" and "stocked to the fences" are two major variations of the joint between the action and the butt stock. "Flat back" has a short horizontal extension of the action back and joins the stock in a more or less straight vertical line. "Stocked to the fences" does away with the short action back extension and brings the stock right up to the fence/ball.

FB was used a great deal during the 1880's - 90's, but got demoted generally to lower Original Quality grade guns as the "London bestr gun" pattern gained fashion status. It is common to find "best work guns" in FBSLE form the late 1800's, less so from the early 1900's.

As far as I can determine, there is no overt design advantage to either. There is undeniable fashion status advantage.

A Charles Hellis stocked to the fences SLE.
Posted By: justin Re: A nice SLE by W P Jones - 08/10/13 11:34 AM
Thanks,Rocketman
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com