doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Backworth Bob Greener side safety - 05/02/13 09:35 AM
Hi,
I am looking on the internet at a W.W.Greener box lock with a side safety. Before I go and see the gun I wondered if members here could answer a basic question.
Is the Greener side safety automatic in operation i.e. does the safety engage every time the top leaver is opened.

Thanks
Bob
Posted By: Virginian Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 10:39 AM
The one I shot did. That is the only safety location I ever ran across that my brain didn't adjust to instantly. But, with use it likely would have.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 10:42 AM
An auto side safety could be special ordered but it is my belief that a manual safety was standard. I remember reading something about Greener not liking auto safeties.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 02:02 PM
Manual safeties on mine
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 02:03 PM
Manual on mine also
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 02:37 PM
I had one that was manual and absolutely hated it. Needless to say the gun didn't stay in my safe long.
Posted By: Backworth Bob Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 02:37 PM
Thanks guys
The majority opinion goes with manual side safety.
Posted By: gunman Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 05:46 PM
It was quite a simple job to meke them into auto safe . It involves fitting a tag or block to the shaft of the safe and drilling an appropreiatr hole in the stock head that a rod can fit into that engages the back of the bolt .
Posted By: gunman Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 05:46 PM
It was quite a simple job to meke them into auto safe . It involves fitting a tag or block to the shaft of the safe and drilling an appropreiatr hole in the stock head that a rod can fit into that engages the back of the bolt .
Posted By: old colonel Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 05:54 PM
Side safety was standard manual and not automatic.

You have to check the gun to be sure.

Note Greener did offer the option of a top safety both manual and automatic, but in either configuation they are less common.
Posted By: Roundsworth Re: Greener side safety - 05/02/13 06:49 PM
My Greener has a side safety that is manually operated.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Greener side safety - 05/03/13 12:35 AM
I understand the preference for a manual safety if the shooter is standing in one place and having birds driven to them and the action is pretty fast. But I consider them to be an absolute hazard when walking up game. I have just seen too many hunters forget that little button and scare the hell out of me! Every bit as bad as someone getting back into the truck with his pump or automatic action closed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com