doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: montenegrin How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/27/13 01:57 AM
I bought an antique revolver in Virginia (via Internet) and would like to have it shipped to me to Europe. What method is good for that? I was told that UPS does not ship any handgun internationally. Thanks for any hints.
With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Paddy Garcia Re: How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/29/13 01:33 AM
I have used the US and Canadian postal services to ship antique revolvers to Canada, using Registered Mail.

On the US side, a pre-1899 revolver is an antique and not a problem to mail. My Canadian buyer sent the appropriate RCMP (police) paperwork, and I included a copy of this paperwork and proof of antique status under US law. I clearly described the revolver on the US customs forms. All went very smoothly.

So - legal for the seller to pop it in the US mail to you. You will want to be very sure that you can receive it legally.
Posted By: ed good Re: How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/29/13 12:10 PM
monte: u.s. registered mail is the a good way to ship...make sure item is insured. however, it may take a while.
Posted By: PA24 Re: How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/29/13 09:37 PM

Jani,

I have shipped antique handguns to Europe and use U.S. Priority Mail, always insured, which is a registered mail product but is expedited and transfers to the destination countries Priority/Express mail system......

I always put the appropriate customs paper work for the U.S. departure customs and the receiving customs paperwork as supplied by the buyer via fax, inside a clear plastic self adhesive pouch on the box......

The Netherlands and Switzerland are especially easy IMO, as their antique firearms laws closely parallel those in the U.S.....as a collector, I am sure you are well aware of your countries laws regarding antique hand gun transportation etc......

All went very smooth and the transition took just over 9 days on the last one.......most of that time consumed in customs on both ends.....

Best,
Posted By: montenegrin Re: How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/30/13 01:52 AM
Thanks.

Doug,
What would be the "appropriate customs paper work for the U.S. departure customs"? Is standard Customs Declaration enough, or should there be something else too? Thanks again.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: PA24 Re: How to ship antique gun to Europe? - 03/30/13 02:47 AM

Jani,

Standard Customs Declaration is enough, but make sure that it is filled out properly......i.e., antique age of manufacture stated clearly......Example: Antique Model 1877 Colt Lightning manufactured in 1878, serial XXXX....

Best Regards,
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com